1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why are there no 312 cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 28, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    We have 310's......I am surprised nobody has attempted a 312. Your thoughts.......would this work?? Or is it a bad idea??

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Dr. Bass does them. Looks like it could eat a 310 for a snack.

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  3. Not a cab for us geezers! :eek:

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The main reason a lot of people wouldn't buy one is the impedance. Likely to be 2.67 ohms or 5.33 ohms, which not all amps can manage, and which will confuse people even if their amps can handle it.

Ryan6491 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    but couldn't they(the manufacturer) have custom drivers wound, to lets say 12 ohms each, so when they are wired in parallel you would roughly have a 4 ohm box?

cazclocker likes this.
  6. I think the problem there is that when manufacturers make speakers, they'll want to use them in more than one box (could be wrong here). And if you were getting custom drivers that were 12ohm, you'd be getting fewer of them in total than you would be for your 8x10, 4x10, 2x10 cabs, so even if everything else was the same, the 12 ohm drivers would be more expensive, making the 3x10 cab more expensive than say a 4x10 equivilant.

(Just speculation)

7. Yea but how cool would it be to have a 9x12 Cab.:eek: :bassist:

jeffbrown, CatSquare and bobyoung53 like this.
  8. Wouldn't you have to inform your medical insurance company if you bought one of those :p

CatSquare likes this.
  9. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    More useless idle speculation, but since 3x10s are usually 5.3 ohms too, I think it's more likely a 3x12 would be just as big and bulky as a 4x10. I don't work for the marketing dept. at Epifani/Bergantino/Aguilar/Genz Benz/Etc, but the demand for a cab w/wierd impedance thats as big as a 4x10 probably just isn't there.

10. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    theres an old vertical kustom 3x12 with sparkle blue cushion covering at one of the local shops around here. its been sitting in that store for years.

11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    A vertical 3x12" fullrange no tweeter would be very cool. It would be about 38"t.

The 12ohm or 16ohm idea is good.

beardedclam likes this.
  12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sunn made a 3x12 that was the same size as their 2x15. John Entwistle used them from 1972-1976.

jae-76_sunnstacks.

13. oh deer god...

that would destroy things..

14. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    ..because of my back

15. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    that makes sense..

16. rcgtrix

rcgtrix

Apr 15, 2008
    Texas
    I started a vertical 3x12 several months ago that I just haven't had time to complete. It has three 16 ohm Webers. Hopefully I'll finish it soon.

DSCN2929.

Mike A likes this.
  17. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    ^ Yeah!

18. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    That looks sick:bassist: I want one!!!

19. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Which would commit you to a large run of a somewhat weird design. I remain sceptical that any small run of alternative impedance drivers would perform as well as the standard impedance model - changing the voice coil impedance is not a trivial affair and requires more R&D time and money than a typical minimum batch of fifty would justify.

Two good 12"s in a well designed cab will drown out most drummers - why would you need a third? And most 2x12" cabs are too small to perform as well as possible and that problem would be even greater for a 3x12".

Alex

20. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    I'd say you probably have something there.

If a driver can be used in more than one cab, it will be in much more demand. thusly, mass production will occur, saving everyone lots of monies.:hyper: