1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are there so few decent short scale basses available?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dee_01, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I don't get it. What is a small lady supposed to do when she wants to buy a fairly decent bass but there is barely any choice out there? It seems to me you either have to pay stupid money for a quality short scale or put up with a Squier Bronco or something. Would it make sense if Squier (for example) shrunk the good old Jazz and Precision basses to short scale? Do you think they'd sell? Reason I am posting this is because my girlfriend enjoys playing but my bass is way too difficult for her to play. She is very small. I looked around and there's pretty much nothing but crap out there. She doesn't want to spend a fortune, but something better than a Bronco would be good. Besides, it's just a rubbish name, isn't it! "Bronco"? ***?

Fender -- make a tiny Jazz! I command you! :hyper:

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Birdsong (affordability is arguable)
    Fender Mustang
    SX
    Danelectro (new model coming in April, whether you consider these decent is also arguable)
    Waterstone
    Eastwood

I dunno, there's more.

3. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
  4. Not enough demand by those who have the cash.

5. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
  6. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Put a capo on the 2nd fret and retune the bass. Done.

7. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Cool! That's more like it. I wouldn't mind one of these myself. :)

98dvl -- Regarding SX, they're not easily available over here in the UK. I've seen a couple on eBay but no short scale. I'd rather not import one, but thanks for the suggestion.

Pennydreadful -- Birdsong is just too expensive. I don't dare even look at their prices! I'm not familiar with Waterstone and Eastwood, but after a quick look around they don't seem to be available over here either. Thanks to you also for the suggestions.

But back to the Mini-P bass, that's just cool. :cool: Cheers.

8. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    That's not a bad idea, only the body is way too big for her also. My Jazz is almost as big as her! Heh. She is literally only 14 inches longer than a Jazz!

9. Hofner?

10. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Rhonda Smith (of Prince fame) was said to have had some small-bodied Laklands made. The Epiphone EB-0 (SG style) bass has a small body and, IIRC, a short scale. If she's not going to gig for a while, the Epi should do fine, unless she specifically wants a Fender sound.

11. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1 on the Danelectro. They are coming out with a new short scale hornet body bass next month, looks pretty sweet. The previous reissue batches of the longhorns and DC basses are fantastic basses for the money. Old Fender Mustangs or Musicmasters are good too. Even the reissue Squier Musicmaster is pretty good. If you got the big bux (tm), go here: www.xstrange.com

From where I sit, there are a lot of small scale choices that can be had.

12. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    She won't be gigging at all, it'd just be for having fun at home. Actually, I'm thinking about getting an SX short scale Jazz shipped over at some point. The red one looks pretty good, especially for $109. Shipping shouldn't be too much over to the UK, so all in all I think something like £150 would more than cover the whole cost inc. shipping and taxes.

bkbirge -- thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

13. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    Cort Action Jr, Modern design with a humbucker, mine goes blurp.

14. There are some extremely nice-looking inexpensive Alden basses that are short-scale...

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Their is an online retailer in Spain that sells SX basses. That might be cheaper for you.

My old SX ss P. Currently putting together another one...

sx3.

16. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    It's because short scales in general lack definition on the lower registers compaired to 34+ scale basses. You really can't drop tune a short scale.

They are somewhat limited to the types of music you can use them for.
    Also they carry a mentality that they are more like "toys" than real basses.

17. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    All that is true and it's too bad it puts so many people off. Everyone should at least try a good one. I'm no convert to short scale, but I'm not ready to write them off.

Limitations, Yes I'd have to agree but ...

Advantages:
    -- Punch. Those little buggers can cut.

-- Fast. You can play for hours and never have to shift and if you do, you can be all over the neck in a split second.

-- Responsive. They can be incredibly responsive given a decent pickup and tone control. Not a one-trick pony in the right hands, maybe a trick and a half :meh: They are also arguably more senstive to your attack and playing style.

-- Price. Many of them are reasonable or a downright steal because of the low demand, especially used.

-- Portability. It's just so nice to pick up an instrument you don't have to worry about banging against the nearest lamp, doorway, or unsuspecting passer-by.

18. If you have money, you can get a shorty that can drop tune. My 30" scale Rob Allen Mouse 30 has as solid of a dropped D as my 35" scale 4 strings. Cliff Bordwell is also noted for making a solid B string in 32" scale, too.

19. small people don't deserve to play bass. get her a nose flute or something

20. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Ampeg Dan Armstrong reissue plexis are godly for small people: I've picked up Les Pauls that are heavier than those.