Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are there so many Lakland for sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Dec 11, 2000.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Is it me, or does it seem there are way more used Lakland floating around for sale than Lulls, Sadowskys, even Modulus? if so, why?

2. I haven't seen that many for sale. Maybe because he makes more than Sadowsky and Lull and it is proportionate. I rarely see Sadowskys for sale but when I do, they're usually sold in a day!

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    If you ask Dave at club-bass he will tell you.
    He use to sell Sadowsky and Lakland, he was a Lakland distributor for over a year, and he never sold any. Not even one, but he sell Sadowsky by truck load. I tried one before i bought my Sadowsky, and it took me 2 second before i go for the Sadowsky, even if it was almost 1000$ more.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Funny.

How come no one asks why there are so many Fenders for sale?

Will C.:cool:

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Then you might want to talk to Beaver Felton or Dave Larue at Bass Central in Florida. They apparently move quite a few Laklands.

There are a lot of resale Laklands out there. I might sell mine. That doesn't mean it's in any way inferior, just that my priorities shifted. As far as there being more of them available than Modulus... no way, not even close, unless you're talking about a specific area of the world.

I'd bet more people "own" Laklands and one of the big reasons is they are more affordable and much more readily available through the resale market.

I'd guess, because I don't have hard figures, that Lakland builds more basses than Sadowsky. Couple that with the fact that Sadowsky's do move faster in the resale market (probably faster than Foderas and MTD's, too) so you'll see ads for a shorter period of time with them. OTOH why jump on the first resale Lakland that you see, unless you know the market and know the resale value?

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Lakland is just the new kid on the block, so a bunch of people bought them over the last 2-3 years,found them not to be their holy grail and are selling them.

Wait a year or two and you'll probably see Lulls all over the place too.

7. I like Lakland basses, and I'd have bought one on two I tried out.
    But about 80% of Lakland basses on stock at Bass Central in Florida (at least on the web) are just the same from 1998.

8. Beaver must not update his website too often, because he and Dave move a lot of Lakland's, probably more so than most Lakland dealers.

If your comparing the amount of Laklands to the amount of Sadowskis on the resale market, yes there are more because Lakland makes and sells more basses than Roger Sadowski.

Herm

9. Where are you finding all these Laklands for sale?? I went to EBay and found a couple and then went to Bassgear.com and didn't find any (I did find a couple Sadowsky four strings at Bassgear). I know that there are usually a few used Laklands at Bass Central but I'm not seeing where there are a whole lot more Laklands on the market then Sadowsky or Mike Lull. I would be interested to know where your finding all these Laklands because I'm hoping to eventually get a 55-94 fretless!:D

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Try the want ads at Harmony Central...I usually see one or two a day (maybe some are reposts?).

11. Probably because Fender mass produces all of it's basses and guitars, so there is a large abundance of them. Does Lakland mass produce it's basses, or are they handmade? I don't know much about them, except that I've played the Joe Osborn model.

12. Last time I talked to Dan Lakin at Lakland, they were producing around 55 basses a month, that was about a month ago. They have seven guys in production. The necks and bodies are done on CNC machines, but all the finish work is done in the Lakland shop. Neck profiling, laminating, fretting - stuff like that. The CNC just does the rough work.

Herm

13. I seem to recall Roger Sadowsky posting the same thing on that subject. They also subcontract on the neck and bodies and do the rest of the work themselves. Of course the neck and body is made to their exact specifications.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is interesting, because a Lakland will go for about the same price as a Sadowsky over here in the UK - the minimum I have seen either go for, has been around £2,000 - probably equivalent to around $3,000. I must say that given the fact that they are around the same price, I would prefer the Sadowsky, which seems to have the edge to me very slightly.

If the Lakland was cheaper the I could understand it, but if you go along to Bass Centre in London and see a range of Laklands at over £2,000 and then see the odd Sadowsky coming up every now and again for about the same price it looks as if the Sadowskys are more "sought after". This place is the biggest in the UK and does have a range of Laklands which have stayed in the shop for over a year, whereas if a used Sadowsky comes in, it doesn't stay very long. This is only basing it on one shop - but then I don't know of any other shop in the UK that holds any Laklands - I think in the UK they are over-priced - although it doesn't sound like it's the same in the US.

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think one of the reasons why there are so many used Laklands in circulation has to do with the fact that their prices on the used market are close to their new street prices. For me, a large differential between the two prices is a deterrent to selling.

That doesn't really explain the abundance of Laklands v. Sadowskys, though. On this issue, I think production volume provides the explanation. I'm not sure how many instruments Sadowsky makes per month, but, having seen their operation in person, I don't think it's as many as 55. Can't speak to Lull.

16. Laklands sound good but I think are overpriced everywhere.
    It's lovely looking to its retail prices from 1995 to now.

BTW Sadowskis on this subject are not better.

17. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can someone explain to me what the difference is between Laklands and high price fenders? What is it electronics, scale, pickups, what? Are there bodies any different as far as neck radius?

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, first of all most Laklands are really more of a MusicMan Stingray with tapped pickup and added J pickup than they are a Fender.

But, if you wonder what is different (or better?) about a Lakland vs. a Fender, here is the rundown.

[*]Construction - Anybody who has examined a Lakland up close and A/B'd it with a MIA Fender should easily be able to tell that the Lakland is much more refined, and has had much better attention to detail, fit & finish.
    Much better fretwork, rolled fingerboard edges(which Fender now has on the American Series), more accurately and evenly cut nuts.
    Of course, this is much easier when you make 55 basses a month than it is when you make hundreds or thousands.

[*]Materials - With the exception of the Bob Glaub and the Joe Osborne models, Laklands are made from more expensive woods.
    AAA to AAAAA flamed maple, quilted maple, birdseye maple fingerboards, ebony fingerboards, etc.
    Better tuners, more massive bridge.

[*]Scale length - Laklands are 35", Fenders are 34".
    I do not necessarily subscribe to the longer scale length makes a better B string, I've played many 34" with great Bs(Pedullas, Yamaha TRBs, Stingrays, etc)but the low B on Lakland 5's blow away the one on Fender 5's.

[*]Electronics - Laklands have Bartolini pickups and preamps in any combination you want or can imagine. The popular 55-94 has a MM style humbucker with coil tap in the bridge position and a Jazz style in the middle position, along with 3 band EQ(bass, mid{with dip switches for shift inside of the control cavity}, treble).
    Fender has started to come on a little bit in this area, with models such as the Roscoe Beck and American Deluxe Precision models, for the most part Fenders have a single P, 2 Js, or the odd PJ model, which Fender did not produce until pushed into it by the competition back in the 1980's.

19. Just like major instrument manufacturers - like, for example Yamaha, a lot of small manufacturers have gone that route. To me, it just makes sense. The product is more consistent, and when your trying to put out a larger production, it's more cost effective than having a payroll for the manpower neccessary to achieve the same output. As long as you still have control over the end result. I know Roger Sadowsky does this, as does Mike Lull, amoung others. There's a place in Billings Montana (the name escapes me right now), that does nothing but produce guitar and bass guitar bodies on their CNC machines for a number of companies. Then, most of them send them to Wilkins guitar finishes in Van Nuys, CA for painting (saves them the capitol expense and labor costs of having the facilities to do this onsite).

Some are happy with the lower production, hand made , like Rob Elrick - nothing wrong with that. He makes a great bass. There are pro's and con's to each method, depending on the manufacturer's specific goals.

Herm

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - they are better; very slightly better - maybe 5-10%. BUT - in the UK, you can get the top of the range Fender Rosoce Beck Signature for just over £1,000 , but an equivalent 5-string Lakland will cost about £2,500 - which is nearly $4,000 equivalent. There is no way that the Lakland is worth that much more. It's certainly a very good bass, but I would resent paying that much, so I'm not suprised they hang around on the shelves in the UK.