1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are vacuums so popular? (Tim Commerford and Juan Alderete content)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BillMason, Mar 18, 2008.

1. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Is it because they are the first commercially popular Electric broom? I don't get it. There are many other appliances that should have the status that the vacuum has. I'm not dissing anyone who likes to vacuum, this is just how I think. Don't you see everyone switching to Swiffers?! Tim Commerford and Juan Alderete used vacuums for years, and went to Swiffers after! Yes, I do have a vacuum, but I just mod the hell out of it (getting a new beater bar as a self-birthday present, the only things that are going to be stock by the end of spring will be the hose).

Please don't say they suck...

:)

2. BegBass

BegBass

Nov 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Isn't it something to do with the tone? My Peavy Amp has a switch between modern and vintage, and has some "vacum tube emulation device"

3. Way to kill the funny on the second post. :meh:

4. I don't know, but I'm totally starting a Vacuum Club.

5. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    <<has a swiffer with a vacuum powered rotary pickup!!

6. We have an old Hoover.

It's kind of crappy, and it smells so much. We were vacuuming our room, and we could smell the belt burning... that sucks. Anyway- we'll be looking for a new vacuum pretty soon.

7. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    ROFL...Begbass needs to changes his name to "Buzz Killington"!

Bill, I'm old fashioned, I still use a classic wooden broom some of the time, although the splinters really hurt my fingers after many hours of sweeping.

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Dyson DC-17 (best of the best):bassist:

9. Now you've done it!!! I've got some serious GAS for a vintage Hoover!!!! There goes my tax refund....

10. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Is Dyson making amps?

My current amp gets clogged with notes and loses suction.

11. BegBass

BegBass

Nov 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    *reads threads again* for some reason I thought I saw "tube" in the threadstarter's thread lol.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
  13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Vacuums suck.

Somebody had to say it.

14. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Well, I hate to beat a long-dead horse, but as I said in the Upright vs Cannister thread, canisters are hypoallergenic, thus, pwn.

ftw.

15. Which are easier to mod? I was thinking about a retractable cord and maybe a higher mass handle.

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Why is it every single person who uses a vacuum insists on claiming that Swiffers are terrible?:bawl:

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Swiffers don't suck.

EDIT: Except the new kind.

18. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005

LOL that "Edit" was CLASSIC... I vacuum swiffer pads...

19. So, vintage Swiffers are cooler than the new ones?

20. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Swiffers were better when they just a small company. Once everyone started using them all the big stores started carrying them and the quality suffered. You're better off with the pre 2005 swiffers.;)