Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are warwicks so cheap on ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Nov 24, 2003.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Reserves for early 90s and late 80s Streamer Is and IIs for like $1095.
    This is rather odd..
    look up "warwick streamer" on ebay and you'll see

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That isnt that cheap for that bass. How much do they sell for new?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why complain?

That's a good and reasonable price, more reasonable than the price for old Fenders. 80s/early 90s Warwicks are an insiders tip, get one if you can. A friend of mine has an old Streamer with the Spector-style headstock and Schaller Roller bridge, and this bass is awesome - the only Warwick I like.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I think he is probably suspicious that there is something wrong with them...?

I would say there is - for me! So I reckon a lot of people buy these - unseen - based on good reviews and the fact that many pros get great sound. But the Streamers I have played, generally have very thick chunky necks and I have found that I can't get on with them - they make my left wrist ache after more than about 5 minutes of playing! :(

I wouldn't have thought I am unique, so I can imagine this happening to others, who haven't been so careful about trying out basses before buying... :meh:

I know that if I had bought one mail order, I would be desperate to get rid of it!!

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Any time you walk out the door of a shop with a new bass, it loses about 20% of it's value IMMEDIATELY because it is now "used". Then add a few years of playing, and it loses another 10-20%. Pretty soon it's worth maybe half of what you paid for it.

The only exception to the rule is REAL vintage gear or stuff that is in VERY high demand and short supply.

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't know why either, but I think they are quality basses with very good craftmanship.

I just bought a Streamer LX 5 Broadneck (brass nut) bass off of ebay for $750.00 including shipping! Well actually, my wife picked it up for me for my 40th B-Day. (I love this woman).

The bass was originally red and refinished in natural. The refinish job was perfect and there is not a scratch on the bass.

This bass is incredible and weighs in at just over 9lbs. To me, the neck is not that chunky at all and very easy to play.

My Fender RB5 is on its way to the chopping block.

Are there some dogs on ebay? You bet. But there are some super nice basses as well. Do your homework, look at the pictures, not just the pictures of the bass, but the person's surroundings. It can say alot about the person and their habits.

Also look at their past history.

Warwick LX 5 BN

7. DjangoPastorius

DjangoPastorius

Nov 24, 2003
    I bought a used 97 Thumb 5 in excellent condition for $830 off Ebay plus an extra $58 to go Escrow.com to ensure I got the bass and could return it.

I am delighted. It has displaced my Fender Jazz as bass de jour.

Price and cost are not related.

8. DjangoPastorius

DjangoPastorius

Nov 24, 2003
    I might add that my Warwick Thumb is a bolt-on. The neck-through version costs several hundred more and doesnt sound as good (IMHO).

The Streamers sound excellent as well.

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hey, well, a lot of Warwicks are older. Something used decreases in value, but something from like 1986 would be even lower. DON'T COMPLAIN.
    They are quite cheap though :eek: ;)

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Actually a Warwick from 1986 would probably be worth more than a New one unless it was trashed. That was before the mass production mode kicked in at Warwick.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah you have a point there actually. I totally forgot about the fact that they just do mass production now, maybe a select number of handmade ones. But I don't know. The new ones still kick ass.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea but i THINK that he was basicaly stating a generalization that the older basses get, the lower in value they get, until, they hit the "vintage" age of the 70's or whatever it may be for that model.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I figured as much, but even then I would disagree. Used instrument values are really more about condition and demand than they are are about age. Unless there is a change in production methods or design, such as Modulus adding relief adjustment to the Quantum line, the age itself doesn't mean really anything.

Other times, certain year models get a bad rap for quality control or whatever. But that would be the exception.

Often makers will change parts from year to year, such as the pickups, preamp, hardware or whatever, making certain years more desirable than others.

I have seen plenty of 10-year-old instruments that were mint, and others that are trashed after two years.

I have a friend with an '85 MIJ strat with at least 300 studio hours on it. You could hang it on the wall tomorrow and claim it as new. The same guy has a 2001 MIA strat that is his bar gig guitar that is beat all to hell. You never know.

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'd have to say this is more about the economy than anything else. The economy has really affected most brands that are auctioned on ebay other than a select few. Warwicks a few years ago were selling quite high. I saw a '98 Stage II that sold there almost 3 years ago for over $2000. Today, you'd be lucky to see that bass sell for $1600.
    Supply and demand though dictates price. I have better luck selling some lesser known basses because the supply is low, and even though there aren't as many interested parties, there are a few that are willing to pay a bit more to have that particular one because that bass isn't seen as much on ebay. A good example on this would be Wal basses. I see most Wal's, no matter the condition or age sell on ebay for over $2000(low supply = high demand). Next to probobly Fender, Warwicks are probobly one of the most auctioned bass. This drives the price down because bidders are more likely to bid low because the chances of seeing the bass again in another auction is pretty high.