Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are we paying extra for people to destroy our clothing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For christmas, my roomate got me a Who shirt because I had a class with her, and I'd always walk in after listening to the Who and tell her "Once these guys get discovered, they are gonna be big." So she saw a shirt at hot topic and it cracked her up so she got it.

The shirt is nice, but the logo was purposely destroyed. Am I suppose to try to trick people into thinking that I got it at Sal Val for 3 bucks? nope, Hot Topic 18 bucks. :eyebrow:

My girlfriend also has a leather coat that looks like ass, and she says it's suppose to look like that. She could have bought one cheaper and let the dog eat portions of it first.

And what happens when these do get old? :rolleyes:

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Long have I wondered the same things Matt - were also letting people cut our hair into faux-hawks and fashion mullets, whatsup wid dat?

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    People want to look hip and dangerous and boheme. But they don't want people to think they're poor.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

so true ,
    grunge jeans and tee shirts are all the rage down here in Texas .
    my friends daughter wears them , brand new and they look dirty brown .

p.s.
    Matt - your avatar and sig make me nervous ... LOL .

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Why do people pay thousands of dollars for Fender relic basses?

edit: That wasn't fair. The Relics are fantastic playing basses.

6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Your girl friend shops at Hot Topic? What is wrong with her?
    Her leather coat is suppose to look like crap? I have never heard that one before. Is it old and just happens to look like that? Or did it come like that just like how you can now buy pre-faded jeans now? I recon I don't understand these things anymore. People go way out of their way these days in order to look a certain way
    It humors me to see people shopping at places like Hot Topic and other such places for their pre-packaged sub culture needs.

7. It's funny. I'm actually really picky about the vintage clothes I buy. I got an excellent 60's leather car coat for 30 bucks that didn't look a day off the rack. Some excellent really mod looking shirts on EBay for cheap cheap money. Some really cool shoes for pocket change. Full leather, slight wear, supa nice.

I friggin hate stupid trends. lamer is the people that cater to them.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have also thought about that. A lot of people I know wear stuff like that. But I don't really care. I'm not going to buy it anyway.

9. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I go to Hot Topic for the band shirts, plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that, despite what some people may think. :rolleyes:

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its funny how Im probably the dirtiest of all my friends and wear the oldest, most beat up clothes, but it doesnt look that way.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't shop at any of those kinds of stores, neither does my wife or 15 year old son.

We prefer to buy new clothes, and keep them looking that way as long as possible.

-Mike

12. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Except a good number of them are bootlegs. The Ramones, the Circle Jerks and Minor Threat t-shirts. The guys in the bands don't see a penny from those sales.

And it's lame to pay so much for bootleg t-shirts.

The coolest thing I've ever seen in Hot Topic was a checkerboard neck-tie. I saw it once and never saw it again. Moral of the story: I should've just stolen it then.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wow, you're so PUNX.

14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    All those folks who are wearing John Deere gear and have never seen a tractor need to stop it!

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    That's totally un-emo. Deduct yourself 10 points.

16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I used to buy band shirts there too whem I was like 16, then I got older and wiser. Most of the band shirts they have their are complete bullS**T. As said before, many are bootlegs. Plus they charge too much, and you have some goofy looking goth guy/girl asking if you need help. On top of that, the selection of shirts is horrible. They usually have 2 or 3 good bands only. Hot Topic is just a pre-packaged sub culture store. You can find much better/cheaper shirts online.

Anyways I like to go to thrift stores for clothes. I can walk in with 20$ and walk out with enough clothes to last me the winter. The pants i'm wearing now probably cost about 40$-50$ in the store, and I bought them for a $1.50. Sure they are used, but the way I look at it, they are just broken in. I hate the way brand new clothes look anyways. And if I stain them/tear them no big deal, only cost a couple of bucks. The jacket I have probably cost over 100$ originally, and I paid 5$ for it. More money that will go towards bass stuff, and other things i'm not of liberty to talk about (because i'm so punk :bassist: )

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ditto, I'm still wearing clothes I've had for 8 years. But the problem is, my dresser is overflowing because my gf will decide every now and again that I need some type of article(s) of clothing and buying it, and I have nowhere to keep them.

18. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I stress to impress.

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Why is it? /reawards 10 points to self until further explaination.

20. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I remember the day I lost faith in society was the day that I went to school wearing my torn-up Levi's (it was a pair I didn't wear much to begin with, not much of a loss if I didn't like how it came out) and a trendwhore in one of my classes is wearing pre-torn-up Abercrombie jeans. I spent $20 on mine ($15 for the jeans, $5 for the Xacto knife that I needed for other things as well), and she spent probably $80 for hers. :scowl:
    Like others have said, Hot Topic even sucks for band shirts. Buy online, much better selection for better prices. The only place I know of (and have bought from) is Rockabilia, but they unfortunately don't sell anything for Alice in Chains.