why are you a pro bassist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by furiously funky, Sep 26, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    im looking at what to be when i grow up, and in another thread, i am also trying to deside on the school to go to. why are you a session musician? why did you choose to become one, how did you become one, that type of deal. thank you.
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I'm a pro because I can be. I've worked hard, made contacts all over the world. I've gone to
    music school; took two lesson a week for nearly 10 years.

i've invested so much of my life in learning and playing music that to just sit around and flounder would make me crazy.

Plus, it's fun as hell !
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Because I can't imagine doing anything else.
  4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    why did you choose this path when you were younger? do you have job security?
  5. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The main reason I am a pro is because people pay me to do this.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've never been able to imagine doing anything else.

I have job security - benefits, a pension, investment plan, etc....
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

And that - as our dearly departed Frank Zappa once said - is truly "the crux of the biscuit".

I agree with Jon 100%.
  8. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    what jobs offer benefits? if you did sessions etc. what would that be like?
  9. I am a pro, I get paid to play! I also studied for 8 years at UCSF and have a MA in music. I also belong to the Musicians Union Local 6 in San Francisco.
    Through this and my royalties from session work I get paid too.

Why not be a Pro?

;) Treena
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cool! do you gig around town? I'm graduating with a BA in music from SFSU myself.
  11. I get paid to play bass but I'm just a lucky bastard who doesn't know theory from a hot steamy pile of crap! :p
  12. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm not a pro in that I have a non-music-related day job, but I do the odd session here and there. Not nearly enough to live on at this stage.

I decided to start doing it because I wanted the variety and the experience that you just don't get with a single band.

How did I do it? Well, I played out at every open jam that I could, had a card and made it known that I was available to play. It's a tough approach, mainly because you wind up dealing with a LOT of hacks, but after a year and a bit of doing this I'm starting to get better gig offers. Nowhere to go but up!

I didn't go to a music school, but I did take some theory classes at university and have studied privately for about four years, on and off.

I still don't know if I could see myself doing music to make a living full-time. I'll just keep going down the path and see where it takes me.
  13. I would love to make a living playing bass. It has been the only thing I have been really good at in my entire life.

And I plan on making a living off of it in the future.
  14. I'm totally pro-bassist. Bassists are good so I support them.
  15. I work with Jeff Larson on tour and in the studio right now!

Jeff Larson

Reviews....... Quotes...
    Larson’s latest, Fragile Sunrise (New Surf North NN023503) is a heretofore undiscovered gem, a treasure trove of wistful melodies and alluring mainstream pop. Basking in a sunny California glow -- Lee Zimmerman GOLDMINE

Sounds amazingly fresh and modern. Think of the music as a fine Speyside single-malt Scotch: smooth and elegant, with a complex and refined flavor... Every song here is a classic waiting to happen--from "Halfmoon Bay," which features America alumnus Dewey Bunnell on supporting vocals, to the haunting and broody "Another Slight Addiction"-- but the real standout is "Changing Colors." This genuinely sweet ballad, with its gorgeous harmony support from The Eagles' Timothy B. Schmit... it will make even a middling set of speakers sound like pure gold. -- Dennis Burger, Robb Report Home Entertainment & Design

This is an album that stimulates your DNA and makes you feel nostalgic and refreshed. So whether you experienced the 70’s sound movement in real time or not, I strongly recommend this album, because you can appreciate the excellent musical pieces created by this quality singer songwriter. -- Susumu Saeki ADLIB, Japan

The ten track "fragile sunrise"CD features a number of striking Larson originals along with his stunning cover of the song “Norman” - penned by Gerry Beckley from the group America. As the new album conveys, Larson is a masterful songwriter... Fragile Sunrise offers a consummate pop music experience. -- Robert Silverstien, 20th Century Guitar

;) Treena
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agreed with Jon when I was looking at what to do, after leaving University - unfortunately my bank manager didn't!!

He wanted me to pay back what I owed on my overdraft, on a regular monthly basis and I was forced to get a regular job! :(