Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are you selling your Aguilar cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdombrow, Nov 6, 2003.

1. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just curious. There have been a lot of Aguilar 1x12 cabinets for sale recently. What are people buying in their place?

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Really?

Didn't know that... I'm curious to see why as well.

Love mine though.

3. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I can tell you that I looked on e-bay and only found one DB 924 and no cabs! Apparently The Aguilar Family, especially josefina Aguilar and Hector Aguilar, appear to be very well-known folk artists from Mexico. Lots of cool Mexican folk-statues, none with speakers in them, though!;)

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I sold mine because it didn't have enough mids to cut through a dense mix. I was searching for a single small cab that would cut it in a medium lound band and for me the aggie 112 didn't do it. Sweet sounding cab though, in the right situation.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You're right, you can alway find an Aguilar GS112 cab for sale either on eBay. Bassgear.com, or Harmony Central. People I've talked to say the cabs can't be pushed as hard as other high end 12 cabs on the market(EA, Berg's, etc.) and the scooped mids are not as pleasing also. The Ag's are cheaper than the others hence most people tend to try them because of the price, but a lot of them show up on the used market. That should tell you something.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It just tells me that people are expecting more from their 1x12 cabs than physics will allow.

When the 12" "revolution" started a couple of years ago, people were buying the Aggie 1x12s in droves expecting them to replace a 4x10 cab, or to compete with a Marshall stack. It just isn't going to happen. Period. You still have to move air.

I've had two aggie 1x12s, andI currently have one, and it's a great cab with a great sound. Just like every cab, though, it's not for everyone. I ended up trading one of mine for an EA CXL110. Two of the Aggies was more than I wanted to carry to a gig, and I thought the mix of one 1x10 and one 1x12 would add something to my sound. I was right.

It had nothing to do with the quality of the cabinet, though.

7. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    If that were the case you'd see as many EA and Berg 12's as the Aggies, but that's not the case.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the EA cabs certainly push the laws of physics further than they should!! ;)

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    More people are willing to take a chance on a $300 cabinet than they are on a $550-$650 cabinet. I'd also hazard a guess that there are probably 3-4 Aguilar cabinets in the real world for every Bergantino or EA cab based on price point alone.

10. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Didn't I say this already
    :confused:

There's an old saying, "You get what you pay for!!"

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Then, what exactly was your point when you said,
    "If that were the case you'd see as many EA and Berg 12's as the Aggies, but that's not the case."

To acknowledge that there are more Aggie's out on the market, and then to make the leap of logic that more used must obviously mean that they aren't as good is ridiculous. Doesn't it stand to reason that a lower price point and greater availability will translate to a bigger used market, too?

Personally, I prefer the sound of the Aguilar 112 to either the Berg or Epifani 1x12 cabs. That they are a little more than half the price simply makes it better.

Ah, that explains it. So, if something is more expensive it is automatically better. Got it. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your black and white world. Personally, I'll judge products on their performance and not by their price tag.

12. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think that's just the point, why I'd like to purchase an Aguilar 410.

Maybe people intend to believe a 112 (or a pair) should compensate for a 410, but it's still about pressure, which a small speaker cannot do enough.

13. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I have a GS210 & There is no way I'm selling it.

I'm planning on getting the 112 to put under it.

Aguilar makes great gear & the cabs are very reasonably priced (cant say the same for the heads & preamps).

14. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The ratio of EA, Berg, and Aggie cabs sold in relation the number of cabs on the used market probably overwhemling favors the Ags based on the fact you can find at least one or more used Ag DAILY on the used gear boards or eBay. Very rarely does an EA or Berg come up for sale and based on the number of people I know that use these cabs and the number of people on TalkBass that use these cabs there are obviously quite a few out there.

Do you always get a better product because you spend more money. NO! But, in general this tends to be the case. I'm glad you like your Aggie cabs, but the Berg's and EA are better cabs and unfortunately they cost more.

15. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    As I said above I sold my aggie and ended up with an EA CXl 112. The EA cab is louder and more present in the mix. It allows me to do a significant amount of gigs with just the one cab that I couldn't do with the aggie.

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I generally agree that you do get what you pay for (BTW, the Aggies are $400 new), NeedMore...but I do believe you're forming an opinion on the Aguilar GS112 without ever owning one, or maybe even hearing one?

I own, and have used extensively in varying combinations, Aguilar GS112 (2), GS210 and GS410 cabs.

My Aguilar DB750 and two 112s are more than loud enough for any gig I do. The thing about 12s that I think alot of players don't realize, is that they tend to "throw". If you stand close to 12s, you tend not to hear their full range. I actually prefer 10s for this reason. The 12s sound killer out front, though.

The Bergie is the only other 112 cab I've heard, and I didn't like the overall tone of the cab. Too bright and crunchy, IMO. But perhaps they have tuned their cabs so that they don't throw like the Aggies do, and are more to some players' liking because of how they sound up close. Speculation, to be sure but...

As to why there are "so many" around for sale...:meh:

Seems to me, they usually sell for around $325-350 used, and they're snapped up pretty quickly. Besides, how many of us here on TB change their cabs more often than their socks? By the smell...I'd say quite a few. :D

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree. Some speakers are designed for a long throw, some aren't. Usually, the bigger the speaker the longer the throw. I've seen plenty of bassists in a smaller venue that use a 4x10 or 2x10 coupled with a 15". From the audience, I usually hear the 15" more than I hear the 2x10 or the 4x10.

Whenever my band does a soundcheck, I always go out into the audience to hear my bass. What I hear on stage, is usually different from what I hear from the audience. That goes for any instrument, not just bass. My 10s sound real crisp with plenty of highs and mids from the stage, but from the audience the bass comes out stronger than it does from where I stand on stage. With a 12 or 15 (especially if it's on the floor), it can seem like I'm pushing for volume but when I go into the audience, the room is filled with bass. It's a challenge to get the sound you hear on stage to match the sound that the audience would hear.

18. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    You people aren't allowed to complain about the prices in the USA. In Europe a GS112 costs 580 euro. And that's quite reasonable, concerning the costs. Recall it is a lot more then 580 USD ok? (Just to make clear that the ration price/quality is way higher than in Europe, because of the lower prices.) :rolleyes: Buying an Aguilar speaker is allmost a bargain for you. Sometimes I wished I lived in America. But not for long, looking/listening at the politicians. :D

Thanks for the tip Jive, listening in the audience how the bass sounds, I am going to use that one next time!

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hear, hear (no pun intended)!

There are so many different situations most working bassists encounter from gig to gig. Sound man, no sound man, massive PA, no PA, etc., etc. If it's not practical or possible to walk out front during a performance, try to have someone who's ears you trust let you know how you're sounding out front.

20. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'm selling my GS112's because I prefer a tighter, brighter sound, and Epifani turns my crank.