Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why are you up on TalkBass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 24, 2004.

1. I want to learn about basses

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. I want to help people with their bass issues

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. I'm bored and have nothing better to do

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Other (please specify)

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Why do you frequent this forum? Is it all about the bass, or is there more to it?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I am a bass player - part-time - who would like to do more, but have to have a full-time job to make ends meet - and this is a way to pursue my interest when I am at a computer all day.

For me it is about music in general and TB is far more music-focused than other similar websites - so I used to be on the FDP a lot but found it was too gear-focused, for example.

The other big thing is Jazz!! So , there are quite a few Jazz fans and players here, whereas other music sites don't have many or any at all! :(

In my day-to-day life I don't meet as many Jazz fans as I do on TB - it seems to not surprisingly, be more of a US thing.

This is another thing that fascinates me - the difference between UK and US life/thinking - so we speak the same language (more or less) - but I feel that TB gives me a big insight into they way people "across the pond" live and think about issues that confront all of us.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I too, am at a computer all day because of my job. Also, I am a part time musician and would like to play more but can't due to time limitations.

Talkbass keeps me informed and keeps my head in music, even when I can't physically be in it. It also helps me to understand the way people think about music and life in general and more specifically about playing bass.

Yeah Bruce, jazz would be more of an American thing since it is the only form of music that has it's roots in America. Glad that it has found acceptance "across the pond".

The internet has been a great tool for information and without it and Talkbass, where else would all of us bass players be hanging out gathering this much information about bass? Talkbass has the best group of people I've ever encountered on a forum, even when we disagree it is usually friendly.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think that Talkbass has one of the best communities on the net. What can be better than "meeting" people from all over the globe who share your passion?

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    bass player who works in front of a computer all day

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ditto.

7. I love reading posts on here because they're so varied. you never know what'll come up in OT, and even new questions in effects or amps.

i have trouble focussing when i'm studying, so i find if i do it in front of the computer, i can take a break every few minutes and read another thread. it allows me to study longer, because i'm taking 1 minute breaks instead of 30 minutes.

8. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I discovered TB about 3 months after I started bass. I wish it hadn't taken so long. I had already cluelessley bought a lousy quality bass and amp, not knowing any better. Once I passed that hurdle though, I learned so much from here that it made a significant difference in my playing and my GAS attacks. Tips on everything. What the good videos and books are, answers to questions from others that I would have eventually been asking myself, and gear reviews and opinions out the wazoo. I play a G&L-L2500 and use an SWR WM-12 for my practice amp simply because of the reviews and opinions I read about them here.

Now I also sit in front of a computer all day and whenever I have the opportunity, while on conference calls, in beween emails, when things are somewhat slow etc... I pop a check on "new since last login". I sometimes start to stress if the number of posts since last login reaches the 200 mark.

I figure sooner or later some big brother web usage monitoring cop from corporate is going to send my boss some report on how much time I spend here during business hours and get me in trouble though. Until then, this is a regular stop several times a day.

9. missy51633

missy51633

Oct 20, 2003
    vincennes
    well 1st its the best place as they have everything you could ask for in the areas of bass playing and music,tabs discussions about a whole lot of things I need to know and a whole lot i didn't know so the way to grow is to practice yes and to listen and read all that you can when it comes to your chosen profession,i love bass and have played for 13 years and do so 7 nights a week and it pays all the bills and on here you have got expert advice, all about your bass even how to change strings down to building one for yourself,but what i have learned in the short time i have been on here has been well worth the time and i hope they NEVER close it down for i would be lost!!!so keep on keeping on for i know that i am not the only one that loves talk bass forums
    missy51633
    if you don't get it right today then practice yesterday and try again

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Google got me to the door. Curiosity made me go in. And all of you wonderfull people keep me here. :)
    It really is pretty cool communicating with people from all over the globe.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I voted other... but I wanted to vote "all of the above"

I sit at a computer all day! I read, learn, search, etc. I give back what I can.

I found the place through Watt's Hootpage!

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used to care about basses and gear, but I really don't care that much about that anymore.

I dunno really, I think I'm here so much because it's so easy to be here so much. I still get work done, and I still practice, and I still record, My class schedule is pretty light too, I'm already done for today, and only have 1 class tomorrow.

I used to try to help people as much as I could, but I don't as much. Mostly I'm here now just because I'm used to it ya know?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Looking at what is common amongst the answers so far - I think you should have had an option on the poll, for :

"I sit in front of a computer all day!! "

;)

14. You should have put a choice: All of the Above!

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    because what else could fuel my GAS so effectively?

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    1) Ever see office space? I work there, but minus all the humour. I need an escape.
    2) Secondary to that, I enjoy the diversity of music related discussion.
    3) I even enjoy the inanity that is off topic and off topic part 2 (lobby).

The people who post here make this a more pleasant place to be than any other forum* I visit, for the most part.

*mostly car related

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I found this forum about 9 months after I started playing bass. I learned more (for the most part, I'm self taught) through TB in my first month as a member than my first 9 playing bass on my own...

...now, I generally try to stay out of the basses and amps forums, my GAS is heavy, my bank account can't handle it, but my credit cards would...

18. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I wanna learn more about bass.
    and I'm 14 I have nothing better to do.

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I used to haunt a couple of car sites. The people here tend to be much more pleasant folks, I completely agree. More pleasant than a couple of local music discussion boards I lurk in, for that matter.

Oh, and WRT the question, put me in the 'sits in front of a computer all day' camp along with all the others!

:)

20. Excellent opportunity to exchange information.

:bassist: