1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why aren't modulus's more popular?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evito, Mar 12, 2008.

1. evito

evito

Dec 17, 2006
    Antioch, California
    I've been going through the bass section on here and it seems that there are a few bass manufactures that most the people on this site seem to shun. Modulus seems to be one of these companies. I just picked one up and can't get enough of it.

So I ask the question, what gives? :bag:

Should I break out the fire resistant gear? :p

2. i just can't do the graphite neck, and the uber modenr tone.

but that's me

-paul

3. evito

evito

Dec 17, 2006
    Antioch, California
    Yeah, I can understand how some people would be against the graphite neck. I was a bit hesitant/very very curious about it. I guess it would be to each their own. Do you find that you can't get a P bass or Ray sound with a modulus? I've only owned Ibanez previous to my modulus, but I have found them pretty open as far as getting different tones.

4. Cost (not cheap) and graphite (not everyone's cup of tea), those are the big ones. Plus, even if you are into graphite, there are others out brands out there (Zon, Status) that are cutting their market share.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I gigged a Modulus Q6 as my main bass for a few years. Beautiful instrument with a trans-blue quilt top.

Action was perfect from season to season, but I never did warm up to the feel of the graphite neck. I greatly prefer the feel of wood against my hands. It was "draggy" when I got sweaty hands.

It sounded great live, pretty versatile (Bartolini electronics), but it didn't record all that well.

6. evito

evito

Dec 17, 2006
    Antioch, California
    What about it didn't record well? I ask because I am going into the studio on Sat. They have an American P bass available which I will bring strings for, but was hoping on using the modulus for just about everything.

Thanks

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Why aren't Mudulus less expensive ?
    That would be a better question.
    I'm not a fan of grahite and prefer passive electronics so in my case I know why I don't like them.

8. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I love my Modulus, but apparently it's not fertile enough for everyone (they keep saying it's sterile :rollno: )

I agree it isn't for everyone. They have a different sound and they also act differently than other basses as you go up the neck. I can't really explain it but it's true.

One of my best friends here in syracuse (who i met on TB) plays almost exclusively on a modulus vintage jazz with a genesis neck and he sounds great.

I have a flea, a Q4, and a bassstar. I think I like the flea the least but it's the prettiest big silver sparkle with lane poor pickup. Actually all 3 have lane poors in the, just different models.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    High price, and not as widely available as some basses.

Also, the "modern technology" puts people off. And the fact that they have only just started doing Quantum basses in 34" scale!

10. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Modulus has some of the most expensive standard models out there. Takes down the amount of sales...

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I personally don't like the looks. If I was after a graphite necked bass, I'd take Status or Zon.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd take Status any day as well, but thats not to say I don't like Modulus.

13. I had one for a short while. Nice bass, but for many of us, that combination of the graphite neck and those EMG soapbars is the definition of clinical and lifeless. Even, articulate, big... yes... but man, it just sounded 'mechanical' to me, and I never could get used to the 'plastic' feel of the neck.

I can see where some would dig them, but it's such an extreme instrument that it does not suprise me that you don't see many of them.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Strange to think that, even after about 30 years of bass guitars coming with graphite necks (I'm thinking back to the Alembic basses with the Modulus Graphite necks), a lot of players are still at odds with the concept. I guess things will always be that way.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I thought I wanted one until I played it. I really just don't like the active sound at all I guess.

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    As mentioned, they're expensive and some don't like the sound. I find them beautiful, but the string spacing on the Quantum is narrow, with the only oprion being very wide (22mm). I fhtey offered 19mm (as Zon does)they'd sell more. Finally, the gloss finish on the back of the neck is nice to look at, but gets sticky IME. The satin feel of the Zon necks is far superior IMO. Haven't tried a Status (I can't stand the name of that brand).

17. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I don't think bassists are "at odds with the concept", I just think that there are a substantial number of bassists who are at odds with the execution. (And that's not to single out Modulus, but all graphite necked instruments.)

Yes, graphite necks have been around since the mid-1970s, but for the entirety of that 30 year period they've always sounded & felt conspicuously not like wood. And bassists have way more reference points, both historically and in terms of what's available today, for wood necks. So graphite will always be "different" from the norm. It's that "difference" that bassists are at odds with, not the material per se.

I've owned a Modulus since 1988. I've also owned a Steinberger since 1982. I love my graphite necked basses, and can't imagine ever parting with them. But I'm just as incapable of imagining not owning a wood necked bass as well; there's just something about the sound & feel of wood that graphite has yet to mimic convincingly, and the different thing(s) that wood offers are way too important to my musical needs for me to relinquish.

18. It's the tight string spacing and chunky neck that keep me away.

19. The price and the sound keep me away.

20. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1. Personally, I have likes the sound of them much more if they do not have EMGs.

As to why I do not own one, it's because I can't frelling afford one! :help: