1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why aren't modulus's more popular?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evito, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I had a good experience with Modulus customer support. I bought my Q5 second hand, and they still treated me like I was the original owner. I had a problem with the neck bolts (rusty??) and they sent me new ones, no questions asked. I called them maybe three times while I owned the bass to ask questions, and the guy I spoke with (all three times) was very nice and easy to deal with.

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Wow, I had almost the direct opposite experience: I've had a Modulus Quantum-6 SPX since 1988 and my only complaint about it is that the tone can sometimes be a bit too "transparent" ...there's this ephemeral sense about the low end; you can hear that it goes down deep, but it doesn't feel quite as punchy as a more conventional bass. I thought this quality may have been unique to my bass

...until I played a friend's Zon Sonus 5: It sounded even more transparent than my Modulus!

3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I would love to get a Modulus 5'er WITH 34" scale, 1 7/8 at the nut, 3/4 (19mm) spacing at the bridge! Since I can't I'll spend my $$ on something else.

Dan K.

4. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Hmm... I wonder what you guys mean by "transparent".

My Steinberger XL2 is designed to have perfectly flat frequency response (that's about as transparent as you can get) as a result, I find I can get any tone I want. I'd say with a half decent EQ "transparent" is the holy grail of tone.

Every frequency is there to boost or cut as you see fit. I can practically "model" the sound of a bass by cutting the frequencies that don't exist on those basses. this is the sonic benefit of "transparent" graphite. I can go from Deep dub, to mid growl to bright twang or mid scoop without any problem.

My Moses necked jazzes, on the other hand, are far from transparent. they have been "tuned" to try to sound more like wood. as a result they are very coloured by comparison. they still sound good and never ever need a set-up. but they are definitely mid voiced with less ultra highs.

I have found that the Moduluses I've tried are half way between my XL2 and my Moses equipped jazzes. I prefer Transparent!!

5. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    EQ tip for graphite bass weilders. Cut the low-lows.

I cut everything under 40HZ. there are tons of sub harmonics on these bad boys. your low end will open up.

6. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    Maybe I'm smoking the wrong stuff, but I believe the older Q5's were 34" scale. I'll have to check my '90 Q5 again when I get home. If that's the case, I'm not sure if/when they changed. :confused:

The prices for older Q5's were pretty good (i.e. - under $1,000.00 USD) for some time. I haven't priced one recently, so that may no longer be true.

7. I believe they were always 35", and the Q5 was the first 35" bass I became aware of. IMO, this is where the 'myth' of a 35" scale resulting in a 'better' B string sound came from. The necks on the Q5's was SO stiff that it resulted in a much better B string tone than other basses back in the early days of production 5 string basses. Many attributed this to the longer scale. Given the many wonderful B strings I've played on 34 and even 33" scale instruments, it's my feeling that it's the neck material and stiffness that resulted in that 'piano-like' B string tone.

While I've moved away from the 'big B string' tone, and enjoy a more 'subtle extension of the E string' tone on my B strings at this point, that big, open sounding Modulus B string tone is quite impressive!!!

IMO and IME.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lol, fair enough, but you're just mad because we always fight over Tobias stuff! :crying: :)

Nah, I can't handle Quantum's with EMGs, but love them with Lane Poors and Barts. A friend of mine had an EMG-equipped one that sounded great live, though, but never sounded good in my own hands. If I get another Q6 in the future, I already have the LPs ready for it. It's just the 35" scale that is really the final stumbling block for me, because I just don't want to have to play them anymore.

9. Just speculating here, but it may have been the combination of the chechen board and the Barts that left you wanting more. All I can say is that my Q5 (phenolic board, Barts) definately sounds far from "any old bass". It sounds distinctively like a Quantum. I think a lot of people may not realize how much the phenolic board adds to the character of the tone.