1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why aren't Rbasses better-known?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Apr 16, 2006.

1. I've been told by a couple of very knowledgeable guys that Ray Rogers' basses are awesome, comparable to *name-your-boutique-bass-here* basses, etc, but the only place I see them regularly advertised is on bassgear.com. I wonder if Ray wants to keep it it a small operation. Thoughts?

2. I think there are multiple reasons for why Rbasses aren't more mainstream.

Ray is, and has been working out of Puerto Rico for at least 4 or 5 years now. Not that it's a deal-breaker, but I know there are people out there like me who don't want to deal with the potential of shipping basses back to their builder if they're in another country.

I also think that Rbass usually yields a negative feeling with a lot people, especially those who are Fodera fans. His basses were way to similar to Fodera's, and I can see why some say he totally ripped Fodera off. Heck, my little joke about Rbass was calling them "Faux-dera," but it many ways, that's my way of complementing them. His current basses are a bit more different than Fodera's, but they still have that influence.

Lastly, Ray isn't very good at communication, although he's been better as of late. In the past, you could send him an email, and it would take him ages to reply if at all. Also, for a while he didn't have a website which made it tough to get the word out.

I myself am a really big fan of his basses. I was lucky enough to be able to play a few at a local dealer. They are great basses, and an even better bass at their dollar amount. However, they're an even better deal if you can find them used because they rarely fetch too much. This is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger. At some point, I need to know that I can get back a decent amount of what I paid on gear when it's time to sell, and I haven't been 100% sure that I could get that back with Rbasses. I really am liking his newest designs quite a bit of late, so who knows, I may end up getting one.

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I love R Basses. One of my favorite parts of his basses are the headstocks... they are dead sexy.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Wow, here's an old thread revived!!!

R-basses are soon to have an explostion in the near future.

And that's all I'm going to say!!!

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You plannin' on pulling a Guy Fawkes, Joe?

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Not quite sure what that means. You really need to speak polish.

7. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    my myrtle fretless R is quite sweet

Rbassfullw.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm trying to- just the other day, I was trying to help about a hundred of them try to screw in a lightbulb by holding it still for them while they turned the house :D

Guy Fawkes is the, well, the guy who nearly exploded Parliament along with King James.

9. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Well, I've owned 6 4 strings at various times. I can tell you that his woodworking is first rate, they play like lightning, and the woods he uses are well-seasoned and resonant. The electronics have been changed more often than Clinton's girlfriends, and I think that makes them a bit of a wild card. He REALLY has used a bunch of pickup and preamp makers, and I think he's finally settling down with using Nordstrand pickups for most of his basses.

There is one, in particular, that I would pay a king's ransom to get back...a 34" scale 4 string alder/maple R bass with a SICK amboyna burl top. It had a Haz-Lab pre and Bart 9W4Js...my favorite bass of all time! If anyone here knows where it is, CONTACT ME!! I WILL make it worth your while!

I currently have one of my old ones on its way back to me...a 33" scale R bass, alder/maple, imbuya top (plain jane), Barts/Bart pre (although it's currently wired passive). It's a PLAYER, and is a tone machine. This pic has a maple ramp on it...I'm not sure if I'll use the ramp or not, but this'll give you an idea.
    [​IMG]

I'm getting it from my bass brother Willbyman (Will Crichton)...a GREAT guy who's as real as they come....if you ever do any biz with him, he's the BEST!

My other one is new from Ray...it's his new 4 string body style...kind of Lakland-meets-Fodera. Ash body (no top), birdseye board, 33" scale, abalone dots, white pearloid pickguard, Nordstrand single coils under skinny ebony covers. Audere 3 band...should be a vintage-looking speed demon!
    I'll post pics when it gets here...should be around the 8th of August or so...

The other thing....no website. Either you have one in this business, or you're NOT in business. SO many luthiers' businesses exploded due to the use of the internet and TB...Nordstrand, Benavente, Stambaugh, Marchliewski, etc, etc. Without a web presence in today's market, it's easy to fall off the radar. The thing is...his basses are as good as anyone's, really.

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

Ray will be having a website very shortly. As well as a Myspace page.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They certainly look like very nice basses, though I did hear he got some grief off Fodera...didn't he used to use their shop space at one point?

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Will's selling the R? I guess his Fodera took over. My guess is you'll be re-selling it in 4 weeks, Matt :D

13. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I think he was at Fodera for sth like 10yrs, to the best of my knowledge. His basses are really great and many features are very Fodera-ish. My Rbass is by far better value for money bass compared to my Foderas. The actual sound is a league of its own

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    You, sir, may go pound sand. :D ;)

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Now Matt, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem...

16. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Trying to revive this thread, here's my moderately modified 2002 SC bolt on Rbass.
    I've had it for about a year. Got it with Bartolini preamp and pair of LanePoor's JB4 singles. I changed the preamp to Audere, got a new set of Nordstrand NJ4SE and built a new purple heart covers for them! (not an easy task). I also designed a pickguard and sent it to be cut out of clear Plexiglas by a CNC machine.
    This bass rules! unbelievable neck, very low action, sounds fantastic and feels even better. Check it out: