Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why aren't Stingray 5's selling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassminister, Jan 4, 2004.

1. I thought I might ask you guys why it seems that Stingray's 5's aren't selling for as much as they were a few months back. I noticed there are several ads for sale here at talkbass and no one is biting even at lower prices. I can't believe that Submelodic has not sold his beautiful Ray for $750.00!!! That's a sick price!! I have a Ray 5 that I'm wanting to sell but thinking about waiting to see if the prices come up a bit. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Like any mid-high end bass, the market tends to fluctuate a bit. I'm in the market for one myself, but am waiting for the right color combo to come along. Whatcha got?

3. It's translucent red with a pearloid pickguard.(original white guard included.) White pup with a maple fretboard. Very nice bass. I'm selling because I bought a G&L L-2500.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I'm selling because I bought a G&L L-2500.

Ahhhhhh yeah. :D

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I too sold my Ray 5 about a year and a half ago... Mainly because I wanted to buy an Elrick... and I had no need for a stingray anymore

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I don't watch it as closely as I once did, but even rather fabulous SR5s were selling on eBay for 800-850.

Christmas bills and whatnot have made the market a little tougher, of course, and some people may think the Bongo has had an impact on the people that might normally shop for a SR5.

7. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    I was just thinking the other day that there seems to be a whole ton of them on the market right now. Much more than usual. That could drive the price down.

8. Thanks for all the good replies! I had thought that maybe the economy had something to do with it at first, but it's getting better (according to news reports) I was thinking less than 6 months ago they were selling for $900-$1,100 used.

I also didn't know the Bongo was supposed to take the place of the Ray. I thought it was just a different model with more versatility. I guess some players may want the Bongo for the extra pup for a variety of tones. That's the main reason I bought a G&L!!!:bassist:

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    The economy is getting better? Someone should let the general public know so that we can stop worrying about losing our jobs, our 401Ks, our life savings, etc. Heh heh. Seriously, even six months ago, good Stingrays 5s were still in the 800-850 range. Anyone who wants to pay 1100 bucks for a used Stingray 5 can have my <A HREF="http://www.bovinehost.com/79ray/SBSR5.html">honeyburst SR5 </a>RIGHT NOW for that. Heck, I'll throw in a free case and a set of strings!

I didn't mean to suggest that the Bongo would take the place of the Stingray 5, only that the market is of a specific size and SOME members of that market might be rethinking their choices now that the Bongo is available.

10. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I agree. I think there is just a glut in the market right now. They are not hard to find used. (Probably why you see them sitting at GC for months and months for that fabulous $1200 price tag. I mean why pay that for a new one when you can get a "used" one that is practically new for $800).

:)

Don

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This may sound vain as hell, but I don't think the SR5 looks NEARLY as good as the SR4. I wish the body sculpting and pickguards on the SR5 was the same as the SR4.

Maybe the looks of the SR5 doesn't appeal to as many?

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, even some people who play SR5s have the occasional complaint about that gigantic pickguard. Of course the SUB 5 is out now and it looks just like a Stingray 4 but with a low B.

Hmmm.

13. So are Stingray 4's selling better than 5's? Not basing that question on the pickguard. I always thought that the Stingray 5 was about the best bass you could get in the $1,000-$1,500 range. They are tremendous basses and it seems that a lot of bassists use them. I mean you see them all the time on MTV videos. Even a lot country bassist use them. I guess that the statement about there being a lot of them for sale right now is the big problem. I might just wait to sell mine for a while. If I could get $850 for it, that would be fine!

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Stingray 5 is a great bass for the price, but it is not the best that you can get in the $1000 - $1500 range. There are plenty of other great basses in that price range.

15. Oh yeah, this reminds me of a while back when Laklands literally flooded the market with basses. You could buy a used 55-94 for around $1,400 or so. When they came out with the Skyline series the prices shot up a bit. At least that's the way I remember.

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Exactly.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    While there are a few really nice basses in that range, IMO the Ernie Balls are the best value, and overall best quality mass-produced instruments made.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What Jeff said. You're seeing more of them because more $12-1500 basses are becoming available, so the SR5 is no longer the as popular as the "go to" bass as the logical step up from a $5-600 bass.

I wouldn't mind one though. I'm fine on the string spacing, as long as I can get it in the right color.

(Dreams of a black/black pg/Maple combo. Mmmm)

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Brendan, I am in the market looking for an SR5, your exact color combo! *except I want a black pearl guard for it.

20. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ehh brendan just wants mine