Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Aren't there any fancy non Fender P basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, May 2, 2003.

1. There are all sorts of high end companies that either specialize in or, at least offer Fender Jazz bass alternatives, (Sadowsky, Mike Lull, Lakland), but I haven't seen a single hand made bass that was directly based on a Precision. Anyone know why this is? P basses may not be as popular, but I still think there would be a lot of buyers for something like that.

2. Sadowsky, Mike Lull and Lakland all make a P-Bass. For the Sadowsky and Lull versions, they can get as fancy as you'd like. Celinder also makes one.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]
    sure I had Ash covered DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5 pickups installed.... but I could have ordered it with a single P pickup wired passive. The first production bass of this body style went out with an Aero P+J config.

[​IMG]
    51 slab body & all :cool:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I asked that a while ago, and the entire place looked me in the eye and said,

"Roscoe."

Damn. They were pretty right...

5. My Sadowsky PJ4 spalt maple top on alder body with Brazilian rosewood 'board

[​IMG]

6. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    I'm sure you guys have never heard of this company
    but, they make some serious basses and guitars.
    Top Dog basses by SGC crafts. They make some
    P-basses. They are pricey too! In the
    3-4,000.00 range. Check em out. They sound
    very nice!

Possibly available only in Japan.

SGC Crafts

Aladdin:bag:

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think almost by definition P basses are simpler instruments. People buy them for their simplicity and their ability to do one thing really really well. That said Jim's Sadowsky is an absoluted work of art! Mmmm Spaaalt...

8. Daytona

Daytona

Apr 26, 2003
    Celinder - I had a chance to play a Celinder P Bass yesterday. It was unbelievable. These are hand made guitars with the bodys and necks being carved in house in Denmark. The cool thing about Celinder P's is that they have a jazz style neck. Lately, I've been checking out a lot of Laklands, and these Celinders seem to be a on another level in terms of playability and sound. Very cool instruments. I almost came home with it.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Hey JimS,

I'm glad you bought that Sadowsky P because I had been looking at it and agonizing over whether I should blow that much dough. I was getting pretty weak...

Hope it's as nice as it looks.

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Victor Wooten has a pretty Fodera with a PJ configuration, and back in the day, BC Rich had a cool multi-laminate neck through with 2 sets of P pups.

11. Has Sadowsky always made P basses? I could have sworn last time I looked on their website they didn't list any as Standard models or show any pictures of one.

12. I don't know about always but he's offered the PJ and reverse PJ for a while and I think it was last year he got the Ultravintage series running:

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_basses.html

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    As far as STRICT P-Bass clones go (by this i mean Single P-Bass pickup config, two knobs, etc), though it isn't an exotic, G&L's version is GREAT. It REALLY cuts through the mix nicely.