why arent there any new pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the_bassment, Jan 25, 2006.

1. besiedes the moog murf thing theres not really any new pedals just remakes and combos of old ones anyone else noticed this
  2. IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Maybe it's because there's things like the PODxt that "do everything" or like the boss twin pedals that do a whole lotta whatever they do.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There also ain't much more that can be done. Really just different types of distortion, but most of the effects are covered.
  4. dam it weve made everything
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The rest of the *pedals* are in your fingers. Go create. ;)
  6. IMHO it's because the only pedals supported by the majority of players are the same old sounds. Not enough buyers today looking for new or different. It's quite depressing to me that no innovation is happening other than maybe loopers, I see the future going to software anyway. Then hopefully development will be easier and less expensive. Hey I sold most of my rack stuff banking on software for the future. I guess I should change my name to NostradamusBassFX. :)

And to quote Frank Zappa, spoken in the voice of Ike Willis:
    "Ugly as I mights be, I am yo futchum".
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Until somebody invents a new one.
    The ESS on the Korg AX-3000B has potential for a big load of never heard effects.
  8. gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
  9. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    THe rate of invention is delining in the world in general not just in the effects world. I read about it in a magazine so it has to be true!
  10. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    The Birth control patch, optical camouflage systems, hybrid cars, translucent concrete, nanotechnology alone has created robotic blood cells that can destroy viruses, rubber that conducts electricity, and pants that repel beer! Maybe it will trickle down to the point where Electro-Harmonix can figure out how to shrink their pedals down by 75% so I can fit them on a normal size board.

Seriously, the MXR blowtorch looks so good I dont even care what it sounds like. I want it. :hyper:
  11. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    there has not really been new effects for the past... thirty? years.... and all that new digital stuff is just emulating the old analog stuff....

So where would new effect pedals come from?

The only thing that is left to do is to combine a wah and volume pedal with a foot massage thingummy.
  12. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Don't know about that, I think the main thing is people will make something unique and people won't buy it because they have their classic sounds, but there have been plenty of new pedals released in the last 5 years or so.

New Pedals
    Crowther Prunes & Custard
    Akai Deep Inpact - Ain't no analog synth that can do that
    Other Digital Synth pedals - FM4, BSW and SYB3/5
    Subdecay Money Shot - It's kinda a filter but it's not

There are also plenty of new designs for dist and od pedals and such, not everything is a Tubescreamer or Big Muff Clone. Look at companies like Zvex, Subdecay, Catalinbread etc all these companies push the boundaries of standard effects.

None of these are your standard, mod/od/fuzz/dist/delay type pedals
  13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually, I think there are buttloads of new effects out there.

For instance, in the higher-ticket range of rackmount effects. One example would be the "morphing" feature on units like the Lexicon Vortex, Kurzweil Mangler, or Eventides. Also frequency-specific processing and beat-matching; all of these functions combine to create effects that sound pretty new.

Then you have bit-crunchers like the Frostwave Sonic Alienator or the Alesis Bitrman. Totally new.

Then you have all of the effects plugins for softsynths such as Reaktor or related programs like Live. Some of those user-developed plugins (which are largely FREE downloads from user groups) are totally-unheard-of combinations of frequency mangling and crossfading and triple reverse salchow on your sound. Don't even get me started on granular synthesis.

I play in an electronic noise band, and one of the most common comments we get is "how the heck did you make those weird sounds?" We use effects in combinations that create something unfamiliar even to other electro-geeks, and thus our effects are "new" -even when some of them just come from the same old ingredients.

If you're asking why there are not so many pedals on the market that do something new, it's mostly because of a financial catch-22: Inventors who create new sounds don't have the money and Asian factories required to package a large amount of processors into a pedal; and large manufacturers who DO have the capability are only interested in marketing something guaranteed to sell, i.e. the same old distortions and flangers etc. in new packaging.
  14. benevan

May 2, 2002
    The Murf is hardly an new effect. The Infinitphase and Ooh wah/Seek wah came before and they are essentially the same thing. They are analog sequencer effects which is a technology that has been around for decades. There is not a lot of demand for this sort of effect in a compact pedal which is why there haven't been any until recently, an only from boutique builders at that.
  15. d-basser

Nov 20, 2005
    you mean normal sized house.
  16. sirnoahthepure

Oct 2, 2005
    what about that one company death by audio
    Havent tried any for basss but they do some pretty weird out there stuff
  17. i was just going off what the site said and it was the only one i could think of