1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why aren't there any violin shaped acoustic bass guitar around

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by foq1978, Jan 2, 2012.

1. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    I think you luthiers are the ones who must know the right answer.

I was daydreaming about a violin shaped bass guitar, but I wanted it to be acoustic. Why is nobody making them? Is it because of its size (too small to resonate)?

Thanks!

2. gunlak

gunlak

Nov 24, 2009
    Philippines
    yes, it's too small. that's why they made the DB to make up for it.

3. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Ok, I get it... and they would look a bit funny, if sized as those acoustic bass guitars...

4. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    thanks, gunlak!

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hofner's been making them since 1956. They're pretty famous for it. But as mentioned. far too small to function as an acoustic instrument.

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    And if it weren't for Sir Paul that crappy instrument would've faded into oblivion.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Most likely, everyone I have played sucked.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BULLCRAP! Violin basses rule. This bass will kick you in the nads and then have sex with your mother:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's right...Realistic as in Radio Shack. Of course, it requires an amp to be heard. It's louder than a solidbody, but hardly enough to play acoustically. The ones with f-holes are slightly louder, but still won't get it without an amp. That's why uprights are so large, and even they don't cut it in a lot of acoustic situations without an amp.

Don't get the hatred for violin basses...but then again, I like to sound like a man when I play, and I understand that some of you may not want that ;)

9. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Lmao! Nice!

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I want to sound like much more that a man. I want to sound like The Most Interesting Man In The World!

dos+equis.

Stay low my friends.

11. They can't be all crap since Sir Paul uses his Hofner more than his Ric these days.

12. [​IMG]

I like the one on the left. That's the pickup config that I am shooting for on my next bass.

13. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I would hypothesize that's due to the icon value more than actual quality, though it's certainly better than the one he used on older recordings (out of tune after the third fret!).

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well he hasn't done much recording with anything but the Hofner since bringing it back in 88, and I've yet to see him use anything else for bass onstage since he started touring regularly again. You'd think if he didn't like it more than the Ric that he'd use the Ric more often.

BTW, he's using one of his old basses nowadays. Those basses don't play out of tune...Paul just had no clue how to set up a bass to play in tune.

15. Dave Higham

Dave Higham

Dec 19, 2005
    S.W.France
    Not being a very good bass player, a professional luthier or American, I don't mind showing my 'ignorance'. Who's 'The Most Interesting Man In The World' ?

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Wiki: The Most Interesting Man in the World

17. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Thank you all for your help.

Just to clarify, I know there are violin-shaped basses. I chose the bass because of Paul McCartney. My question was about the existence of acoustic violin-shaped bass guitars.

@Timon: Hey, now that's what I am talking about! Thanks a lot!

18. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro