Why aren't there more "kickback" and "wedge" style cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Mar 11, 2016.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Seems to me that there's a dearth in the market for kickback and wedge style bass cabinets. Why is that, do you think? I'd figure that the more versatile a cab might be, the better. I'd love to have more options for placement of my gear onstage, personally. Depending on the room, I might like to tilt it back so the cones fire higher, or maybe just do the standard thing and keep them horizontal. I once tried to get my GoLight 410 up on one of those amp stands designed for guitarists... you can imagine how that went. lol.

Anyway, what do you all think? Would you like to see more kickback-style cabs on the market? If not, why?

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Square panels are cheaper to cut and produce less wastage, and people keep buying square ones.

3. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Greenboy Fearless F112 will tilt back. :)

4. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    So does the BFM Simplexx Tilt Back.

atrapp and puff father like this.
  5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    They just don't work as well as you'd think that they would. That's why.

6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    As was demonstrated in Duke's recent cabinet shape poll, many folks are fixated on stacking the amp on top of the cab, so that quickly limits wedge and tilt to folks not so fixated, which seems to be a minority.

7. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Then there are people like me that find it totally worth the money to have both an amplifier/410 cabinet combination as well as a 210 kickback amp.

There's Genz Benz/Genzler? (what I have), the MarkBass, and the Hartke. There must be others.

Plenty of choices there, mate...

8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I set my amp on my Cabinets. If they were kicked back, it would get expensive!

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have used Fender Bassman, Fender Dual Showman, Vox Foundation, Hartke 115, Berhinger 110, Markbass, and Ampeg kickbacks. Surely there are plenty of others, like those from Ashdown, Carvin, Eden, Fender, Genz Benz, SWR (the wedge), not to mention the Fearless cabs.

Most modern tilt back amps are combos. I use modular gear and have an aversion to combo's—after decades of dealing with them, they just are not my thing. To tilt a moduar rig, I'd have to improvise a velcro or other fastener for the amp, and buy one of those dorky stands.

Also, since I am now a devoted fEARful 15/6/1 user, I find my cabs much less directional than any I have ever used before, including a 2x210 vertical column of Epifani 210s. Hearing myself is not an issue, ever. Still, the kickbacks are out there.

puff father and JackNasty like this.
  10. Bassheart365

Bassheart365

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Because you can't set your drink on one.

11. The buyers are all in a rare breed of bassist playing relatively quietly on stage with full PA support. No call for music stores to stock.

And a lump of 4x2 + 2x10 = kickback monitor.

Winfred likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I use a piece of wood to tilt my non-tilt cabs. Got a couple of little combos that tilt, though. I like the format but only for combos.

13. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    Because when you tip them back everything on top either falls off or slides off when placed there.
    Your beer has to go somewhere.

Plectrum72 and puff father like this.
  14. The new Bugera 12" and 15" combos are tilt-back. I think the newest versions of the Peavey TNT and TKO combos are.

But, yeah, the format definitely works better for combos than for separate heads and cabs.

Edit: I have given a name to my pain... and it is Auto-Correct.

15. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Read about floor decoupling and coupling.

Ground coupling? Or decoupling?

The lower end of frequencies doesn't need to come from any directional source. Like wedge on stage monitors. I've tried the small EBS combos Session 60, and 120, and it's a tremenduos difference. When playing small stages without PA, all drummes I've played with are pretty adamant about me turning the cab down from kickback or wedged position. It should reside on the floor and point straight forward. Or slightly angled towards the drummer, not upwards in the air.

Also one of the hazards about really large ones, especially these days with lightweight amps and lightweight speakers. If there's a 15" combo that has kickback, or "wedge" option, some bassists (rehearsal) insists on sitting on top of them, provided they're equipped with front panel. On MarkBass, it even looks a bit cosy to rest your rear on with that soft cloth and no handle on top.... now, guess what will happen...? ;)

I've seen numerous guys crash, and totally break their basses as well as getting an ugly bump in the back of their heads. Because they've not detected, or calculated that they can't do the same thing as on their old Ampeg 1x15 combo, with heavy drivers, and "real" old school amps that weighs a ton.

AlexanderB likes this.
  16. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    monsterthompson likes this.
  17. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    image.jpeg

18. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Must be some high quality chewing gum between those. ^

puff father likes this.
  19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    So will other offerings by Peavey, Hartke, and Berlinger, among others.

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    we used to offer them in our M Line series. If there was demand, people would build them. Plus, you do lose hearing some bottom end. And, they only "work" for you when you stand in a limited place. You get "off axis" a lot quicker with one.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021