Why aren't there more "kickback" and "wedge" style cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    When I want to angle a speaker up, I just use these little gizmos made from spare L-brackets and mending plates. Also I'm not in the habit of putting a tube amp directly on the cab it's driving, to avoid feedback if a preamp tube gets a little fussy and microphonic.

77208E6F-2AF1-4293-8905-5255986FC08B_zps8o3i84pm.jpg

Left and center cabs are open-backed guitar cabs.

Otto

2. Oh magic 8 ball...will I hear my rig at the gig tonight?

ANSWER....PROSPECTS LOOK MURKY......

3. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    It's a nice option. I never saw one until maybe the mid 2000's when our church had a kickback combo. It was nice because we were renting out an elementary school for services and it was convenient to carry in and out and angle it up.
    The only thing is that you have to make the cabinet deep to make the design feasible. Some bass combos aren't deep enough.

4. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    I have never understood the amount of people on this forum who want their cab on the floor. Most bar "stages" around here are 2x4's up to 2x10's laid on the floor with 3/4 OSB or plywood on them & are hollow. That combined with a scooped EQ guitarist & cab on the floor usually results in bad low end stage rumble & guess who ALWAYS gets the dirty looks/blame! Gone so far as to walk over & turn my volume off to prove to the guitarist he was just as responsible. But I've always had a PA with subs & I'm 6'3" so I never put my cab on the floor & it still threw lows out into the crowd (even my 1x12 & yes the PA did help ALOT).

superheavyfunk likes this.
  5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    thank you my friend

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I have one of these. DV016_Jpg_Large_601709_R.jpg

7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    BFM is basically saying that as long as the speaker is lifted no more than 1/4 wavelength off the floor it makes no difference to the sound.

From a theoretical standpoint I totally understand, but simply rotating my GK amp to the kickback position changes the feel of the low end. The change is apparent regardless of whether I am on axis or not. To be honest I was surprised by how much the feel changes, especially since rotating the amp to the kick back position only lifts the port by about 7 inches. FYI, 7 inches is 1/4 wavelength of about 440 hz and the port should not be active anywhere near that frequency.

I am not sure what is going on; perhaps lifting the port off the ground changes the tuning a bit.

Honch likes this.
  8. earful of mids sounds like less low end.

9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Absolutely the first thing I thought of as well. However, there is no earful of mids when the listener is off axis; yet the change to the low end is still apparent.

Perhaps whatever is going on is unique to this particular cab. I used to tilt back a 210 Acme Low B and it just sounded better.

10. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    What he said was that it wouldn't make a difference at low frequencies where a given height is less than 1/4 wavelength, but that it will reduce coupling for higher frequencies which can improve the sound by reducing excess midbass.

Otto

11. Beats me...

Markbass102P .JPG

64 P.JPG

superheavyfunk likes this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Yes I agree. The other possibility is raising the cabinet will make the sound worse by further reducing midbass in a system that already has a scooped voicing.

13. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    tape_zpskpx54cqy.jpg

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    This is actually the only reason required. IMHO!!!

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    No pics, no piece of wood! :roflmao:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You're right...sorry, man. I've been lying all these years. I have no wood.

:D :D :D

Jim Carr likes this.
  17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Ha ha ha!

JimmyM likes this.
  18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Some of us play gigs where there is no beer.
    Some of these venues are spiritual, others more herbal. So maybe, there is a place for a piece of wood. ;)

Honch and JimmyM like this.
  19. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Spelled it wrong? swap out those two oo's in wood, for two ee's instead... ;)

Jim Carr likes this.
  20. jazzenfunk

jazzenfunk Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    bay area
    I use my gramma pad as a tilt back for my 212 cab. Instead of setting the cab on the pad, I just slip it under the front and that gives it the perfect lift at an angle that won't affect the head stability.

Honch likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021