Why Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bubbawubba, Feb 8, 2001.

1. bubbawubba

Feb 7, 2001
    I want to keep it but my mom wants me to get an electric guitar. My mom asked me what was so good about a bass guitar but I didn't know. Can you help me and tell me why a bass is so good?
  2. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Sorry, bubba, but if your Mom doesn't get, she doesn't get it.

I've been playing bass for more than 20 years and MY Mom STILL doesn't get it.
  3. Because a bass is more important rhythmically than a guitar. It relates the rhythm of the drums and the melody of the guitar to one another. Plus, its a better way to express yourself than a guitar, for everyone plays guitar, but hardly any-one plays a bass. Why? Because it needs a good sense of rhythm and a knack for melodic thinking. If u give it up for a guitar, you'd be demeaning yourself(no offence to guitar players, but a guitar feels very limiting after playing a bass).
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    If your mom likes guitar so much tell her to play it.

If you don't know which instrument you like, give it some thought... It is up to you!

Do you want to hold down the rythem. (Can be done with a bass or a guitar)

Do you want to play leads? (Usually done with guitar but some bass players do love to run...)

What is it that YOU want to do? All the instruments are important for the over all end product of creativing music. Now it is just a case of figuring out what you like and then it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, says or does.
  5. bubbawubba

Feb 7, 2001
    I would like to play as the lead and I also like a bass's rythym. My mom says that you can sing with an electric guitar but not a bass guitar and that you can play by yourself. My friends say that the electric guitar sounds flat without a bass though...

[Edited by bubbawubba on 02-08-2001 at 03:15 PM]
  6. I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    gbrooks is right. I've played g****r, drums, piano, and bass. I would have to say that I find bass the most challenging to play. As a bass player, you are not limited to simply matching the g****rists notes to the drummer's beating. That is simply a way of thinking that you must overcome. I don't know what style you play or listen to, but currently I am in a big punk phase. If you listen to bands/album such as Lagwagon/Trashed, Strung Out/Twisted By Design, NOFX/Pump Up The Valuum, or for a real treat NOFX/The Decline. In my opinion, a really good bass solo just compliments a really good guitar solo, and being really creative with you song writing, musically speaking, will make you enjoy playing the bass that much more. I can still get ooh's and ahh's from some of the guitarists that I know when I create a killer groove and solo for a song.
  7. Just tell your mom the truth. Tell her only the smartest musicians ever attempt to take up the bass guitar and learn to play it properly. If she wont buy that line have her watch about five minutes of MTV. The guitar players will be jumping around making a lot of noise and looking like their about to fall flat on their face. Most of the bassist will be back there THINKIN', "how can I make this song even better" If that fails to sway her your way then your on your own. However I think all bassist should learn the chords on guitar so when you have to play a song you dont know you will be able to watch the guitar player and at least get through it with no problem. Either way, bass or guitar just pick the one you will have the most fun with and who knows, you just might be great at both of them.Good luck!!!
  8. explain to your mom that when she dances she is dancing to the bass, not the guitar.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Look at it this way: bass is so good, it only needs four strings.

I know there's more, but, just tell her that. That should help.:D
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Next time your mom asks what's so great about the bass, look at her in the eye and say:

<font size =6><center>Paul McCartney</center></font>

She'll understand. trust me. :)

Will C.:cool: