Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why breaking your leg is cool

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by IvanMike, Aug 17, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    So i break my leg in a freak accident - at my guitar players house right before a recording session - do the session anyway and it comes out good

Last night i go to the 1st gig since the accident - casted, on crutches, and with screws in my ankle

why is this cool? - well, i get there at 9:00 pm, have them unload my stuff, play on a stool, get waited on, and leave as soon as the gig is over at 1:30 am

i swear i'm never telling my band when my leg heals and i'm always bringing crutches to practice and gigs :D

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yeah loads of fun :rolleyes:

I did the same last year, spent 3 days in the hospital and 4 months in bed :eek:

I'm still not fully recovered, Doc says I progressed as expected.

x-rays here

Glad your making out well!

How many screws? Got a plate too?
    (I still get un solicited gear moving help ;) )

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm supposed to lay off the leg for 6 weeks then i get eveluated and prolly spend another 2 months recovering (i tore all the ligaments and got 2 screws)

fortunately my rig was at the band leaders house -i actually hadda solicit my 2 girls (ages 8 and 11) to move my bagend 12 into the car for me (and the 11 year old just broke her wrist) - what a horrible father i am lol

4. She broke her wrist moving YOUR stuff?

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no no no
    she broke her wrist the day before at camp
    i only had her use the good arm - lol
    i felt terrible but they insisted
    i did put it in the car, they just moved it from point a to point b - and it is only 40 lbs

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I turned up for a gig once on crutches. I'd crashed my motorbike the day before and my ankle was the same size as my thigh. I looked like Fred Flintstone.

There were a lot of Bikies at this gig for some reason. They were giving me a hard time, calling me a whimp and making jokes at my expense. Eventually one of them asked me how I hurt myself. As soon as they found out it was a motorbike accident, they changed. Suddenly they were carrying me to and from the stage, bringing me food and drink, carrying on like my personal body guards and roadies. It was fantastic. They even gave me somewhere stay when they found out I had a long drive ahead of me.

7. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    wow well you guys had good experences(sort off).... was laid up in the hosp.. for a good 6 mounths recovering after 7 major operatoins all done in the same day (may 13th, 98)

the largest bone in my body(the femer i think) was sewed in half(by the docs of course) and rotated a few degrees and plated back together( the plate is 9 or 13 inchs long i forget) and the bone below the knee(i forget the name) had the same thing done to it

as for the other 5 i wont get into it would take to long and i would bore you.

i still walk with a bit of a limp, all my freinds say you dont even notice it anymore but i do

and that is why my nick name is "gimp the pimp" i hate it i swear

sorry for all the mis-spelled words:D

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you know they're wrong, you hve an opportunity to learn them properly and fix them. It'll make you look good and feel good too.;)

I've never broken a limb and don't intend to. I've seen some friends go into some pretty bad spills. A drummer friend of mine (who's 40, btw) once totaled his car and broke his arm in 2 places. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt.:rolleyes:

9. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ill work on the words man:p

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

We've all laid off you on that Stuie, and I think you're doing good!
    -----
    I broke my ankle in '87. Badly. Screws, etc.
    Later had the screws out, they bothered me.
    I was out walking in the woods and fell down. It took me 2+ hours to crawl to the nearest house in the dark.

I have never fully recovered. I can't jog, and if I walk too much in a day, sometimes I need a cane the next day. The doctor told me if I had been much longer outside exposed, there may have been an amputation.

I am happy to be alive. Good luck with the healing process.

Peace
    Thor

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks thor
    and thank you all for sharing your stories
    well after a month post op the screws are backing out on their own because i keep putting weight on my leg - i guess it pays to listen to the docs, but crutches really are a drag
    man am i going stir crazy...........

12. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    oh its no big deal about the words, you guys need to tell me about it, i mean how does it look that im 17 and can haerdly spell, thanks for the help you guys

on topic: well im glad all our storys could help you through this time.... oh and to thor, when i had my foot ran over. even after it healed up it would be hard to walk on cold days(now i know what those people mean) and if i walk alot that day it would be hell the next.

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The reason I thought it was cool when I broke mine was I was given a pump which enabled me to self-administer morphine.....up to a limit, of course,

"Dr. Feelgood" came on the MTV channel and I truly understood what that song was about!

14. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i was given one of those to but i only got to keep it for the days i didnt get out of bed.....if i had of known this i would have been in bed longer:ninja:

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

:D :D :D

Those Afghans make so whoopass stuff!