Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Busetto?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hdiddy, Jun 7, 2004.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Just curious... we've all seen threads about which types of violin corners are better than the other, but what's the actually origins/reasons for Busetto corners?

I skimmed various Bass History sites and searched TBDB and there are no mention of why Busetto shaped double basses were ever created in the first place. Violin corners make sense, since a Luthier may literally attempt to create a giant sized violin. Gamba corners from the original development of the instrument (right?). But where the heck did Busetto come from? My Christopher even has smaller upper bouts than most basses... for what reason? Made for smaller people? Why does Busetto corners involve a rounded corner on the lower bout with an extra cut into the rib? It could've been just rounded all the way.

My enquiring mind wants to know. :)

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    'cuz it's purty.

BO SQUIDDLY, I'll bet you have great access to the high end of your fingerboard on your Busetto (the shoulders seem to slope off pretty radically). I've never played one, how do you like it?

3. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    It seems like I found something once that attributed Busetto corners to an Italian cat named Busetto in the late 1600's. I just did a minor league Google and couldn't find it again.

I have a Busetto Chritopher as well and really like it. I don't know if the narrow shoulders are part of the Busetto style or just the way that Christopher makes them.

I hope a designated smart person will post some info.

4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Well considering this is my first bass and that I've only played a few others, yeah this baby's easy to get around on. I love the way she looks with the slender top 'n all - she ain't got that big bosom like the other girls. :) I've never had any problems getting to the upper registers and didn't even notice any of the bouts in my way. It's a hybrid, so I get the good sound plus the laminate sides, which I greatly appreciate since I'm quite the clutz. Might have to get the fingerboard scalloped a little cuz there's a buzz on the E.

She's very easy to play and I grabbed her because of how she feels although the sound is good. Got a set of corelis on them right now. I might try spirocores next. I guess she's sounds on the bright side at the moment but I kinda like her that way. I've had her for only 2 months and the sound is really opening up and she's getting even louder. I think the projection is pretty good for a smaller body and it helps that my technique is improving. But considering that I'll end up playing amplified, it all works out anyway. I'd like something small like her for the next bass, but I don't see myself ever parting with my gal. She's my first love. :D

5. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, it's been nearly a week... have I stumped our knowledgable bass experts?

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Some things are better not known :D