why buy a new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stu hamm rules!, Jun 5, 2002.

1. This may sound stupid and you'll probably say "go and try some to see yourself" but what are the advantages of getting a new bass? i am thinking of getting a six string (possibly ibanez sr406, btb406, spector ns2000 q6, or dean edge q6, to replace a peavey milestone 3). Other than the obvious improvements of more strings and frets what are the main difference. I just don't know if i can justufy spending £500 to buy a new bass when i already have one. hope that makes sense...
  2. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    if your happy with what you have dont get one...
  3. what i mean is i suppose, for example what makes a top of the range warwick better than a low range yamaha?
  4. i didn'y need to hear that...
  5. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    lol........uhhh well you really need to go see for yourself
  6. It sounds like you've just finished flipping through some bass player mags and musicians friend catalogs. If you read any of those type of mags for too long, the ads will have you convinced that you need to scrap your entire setup and buy something new.
    If your playing benefits from a new bass, or if you're hearing audition comments like "you were the best player, but we went with somebody that has a better bass" then you should probably get a new bass.
  7. If you're perfectly happy with the tone and feel etc. of your bass, then stick with it. If you're genuinely interested in getting a six-string, either because it intrigues you or because you don't feel challenged by the 4-string enough. There isn't anything really great about "new" basses, but if you get a more expensive bass then you're old one, there generally will be better electronics, more versatility, better looking, generally a faster neck, etc.

No one's compelling you to get new stuff (except advertisers) Of course, its always nice to get new stuff, like on christmas or your birthday. But if you're happy with what you have, don't think you NEED to get new stuff.
  8. thanks i think that helps, it's gonna take me a while till i have enough money to buy one anyway so i have much time to think. I'll see if i can try some other basses.
  9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    "If I wanted to funk myself up I would have seen Dave Matthews Band

What does this mean?

As far as a new bass i agree with them that if you are happy with your current bass then keep it! But i will tell you that the spector usa and the top of the line warwick beets the you know what out of any of my first basses including a yamaha!
  10. in what ways?
  11. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    This thread has a very existentialist view point :)

I've owned a MIM Fender Jazz fretted (still have my fretless), Ibanez Ergodyne (urgh), Modulus Flea bass, Zon Sonus 5, and currently, a Buscarino (yes, the jazz archtop guy) 5 string.

Out of all of these, I'd say the "best" were the buscarino and the Zon. Why is it better than a fender or a peavey you ask? Well, its better to me because I liked the way they felt (the buscarino more than the zon), their sound, their looks, their "being". Lots of guys use Fender Jazzes and sound great, same thing for Yamahas. But, since we're doing the warwick/yamaha comparison I have this to say:
    I'm only going to deal with older warwicks, because I feel they're the ones that are far surperior to Yamahas..the newer ones only slightly so ;) An older Warwick has better attention to small details (better quality control, in effect) as the basses were built one at a time, rather than Yamaha which has large CNC machines and mass quality control. The sound is subjective, so we won't go there, and so is feel. So, in conclusion the only concrete way to judge a bass "better" in an objective term is quality of materials used and how well they were put together..in my opnion.