1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why can I not tap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatty Banks, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    For some reason, on my MTD Kingston (4), really up high, when I try to tap, all I get is a "claaaaankkk"-noise.

Any help? I'm using DA flatwounds, and I have extremely low action, but also mind I have no buzzing problems whatsoever.

And also, yes, I can tap. It's not a matter of skill here, it's the bass. I may not be able to tap good, but I know when my bass isn't letting me tap.

Any help tappers?

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    keep practicing...

you'll get the tone to come out on the bass. every bass is different. if you can play this bass and get notes out of it, you'll just need to adjust your tap method and then it'll work for you. sometimes when action is too low, a tap might be too hard of a strike on the string so you are causing it to vibrate more than when you play...and hence not getting a clean tone. typically lower action is better for tapping, but that's for a soft touch, if you pound the taps, you'll need higher action.