Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why cant I fall asleep anymore?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Ever sinse the summer has started, I have not been able to fall asleep until about 5 in the morning, and when I wake up, my sheets are off the bed, my pillows are on the floor, and that means im wrestless while im sleeping. What is wrong with me? I need pills..... :)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think it's because you rule at bass. But I'm not a doctor.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't take any pills to sleep. You'll then need to take pills to wake up. Once you get on that yo-yo, you will never be yourself again.

I am the same way right now. I don't get tired until three or four in the morning.

-Mike

4. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I need to like, run 10 miles tommorow or something, just so I pass out at 10 tommorow, and maybe drinking alot of coffee at like 5 oclock, so come 10 oclock, I'll just crash. I dont know, I need to do something, right now im going to sleep when the sun is coming up.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Running before you goto bed is an excellent idea. Assuming you live in an area where you'd feel safe running about late at night. A) it's really nice to run at night for peace of mind sake B) the activity will wear your body out and you'll fall asleep whether you want to or not C) you'll be getting some fitness out of it which is always a perk.

Well, actually, running can also wake you up somewhat, so it's kind of a double edged sword. But personally, I find it to be a great way to summon Zs

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well im gonna run on the tredmill I think, probably around 6 or 7, and im gonna try not to fall asleep tonight, so I'll be extra tired tommorow. I need caffiene....but soon it wont even have an effect. Like when you have 3 soda's late at night to stay up, anything after 3 cans, just gives you like 5 more minutes of being awake...so I need to hold off the caffiene for now.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually you need to eliminate caffine from your diet completely. That is probably what is keeping you awake, or at least a large part. I'm sure you are probably thinking "but I ALWAYS drank caffine, its never been a problem before".

Well things change. Your body changes over time and substances can have different effects at different times. Try eliminating all caffine from your diet for a week and see how it effects your sleep schedule. I know I used to have problems falling asleep and when I did this it changed. And I rarely drank anything cafinated, only tea and a rare frappacino.

If you can go a week without caffine I bet you'll find yourself able to sleep much more regularly and feel more rested when you wake up.

Also excercise before bed won't do too much for you, it'll actually make it harder to sleep because your endorphin levels will be high. However excercise during the day, say 6-8 hours before plan on going to bed, will help.

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I honestly dont have that much caffiene, I only drink water before I sleep and when I wake up, I have a bottle of water. During the day I ussually drink milk or more water. I used to drink alot of caffiene but I stoped. I have been exercising very very late at night. Midnight sometimes.

Im gonna try something diffrent today, I dont know what yet, im tired enough that I can sleep now, (its 5am) and I have my alarm set for 10 tommorow, so I'll get up and have something healthy for breakfeast. And have steak for lunch maybe, and a salad for dinner. I haven't been eating that much either, I've been waking up at 2pm-3pm, so I have something small like a pop tart or something than I eat dinner and thats it. So I think that has alot to do with it too.

I need a new routine....

9. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    This sucks, I feel asleep at 5:30 and my alarm didn't go off, I turned it off without knowing, or I didn't hear it at all. So I woke up at 2 again. **** this.

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Maybe you should try not going to sleep, so that you can fall asleep at your desired time the next day?

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    is your bed hot?

12. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    yupe, i cant sleep when its hot, and its been 100s for 4 days now. I havnt turned the AC off in a week. I need to put some fans on me and get it cold in my room before i can really sleep solid.

Excersize is the most important ingrediant to good sleep though.

13. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I tried not falling asleep, but I bassicly passed out at 5:30, and my bed....isn't...hot? :eyebrow: Why would that matter? Make me not want to sleep?

Everything is normal its just my system is so out of whack right now its gonna be hard to get back into a god system. But I must try, my quest for sleep before midnight will be obtained. *thrusts fist into the air* *my band of pirates cheer and follow me around, making me caffiene free iced tea for the rest of the day*

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I feel your pain man-it's been the same way [or nearly the same] for me this summer. During the school year-i was on a nice asleep by 11, wake up at 6. Now? I'm goign to bed between 2AM & 4AM. Waking up @ 2PM. I know if i continue on this cycle-i'm screwed for school, plus-i'm a lot more productive when i wake up before 11AM, like-i practice more, i exercise more, and all that jazz.

That's all

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    do you happen to have a plastic cover over the mattress but under the sheets? I just found out we had one (my wife never told me) and my wife took it off - this past week I have slept like a red-headed step-child after a good beatdown. :D the mattress is so much cooler (we have one of those fancy memory foam/spring mattress hybrids.

I'm not kidding.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's bad for me too, I have the air conditioner blowing on high to get it cool enough to fall asleep but I'm still restless.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hold up...

Whenever I wake up, my blankets are all jacked and my pillow isn't on the bed often. That means that I sleep "wrong"?

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My advice it to TAKE THE PILLS.

But to make sure they work, please take maybe 6 or 14 doses worth.

19. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't go to sleep until 5 and gets up until 2-3 in the afternoon!

If you find something that works tell me too, I feel I'm more productive during the day too.

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Have a child.

You'll be able to sleep after that. A child will wear you out more than running a marathon.

Only problem is, you won't be ALLOWED to sleep any more. It's pretty hard to catch 40 winks when you're being bludgeoned with an Elmo. :p

I haven't slept 8 hours uninterrupted in four years, though I've sure as heck wanted to.