Why can't I have GAS?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimmyM, Aug 30, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've never had GAS. Oh sure, I've bought equipment, and lots of it, but I've never bought anything that I didn't really need and would only buy it if it could make me money. For 15 years I played every gig I did on a 1976 Precision. It had been modded a lot, and I bought a couple basses in the meantime, but I always came back to the P. Then 5 strings came along, and about 8 years after they became widespread I decided I needed a fancy boutique 5'er to compete.

Anyway, long story short, after 30 years of playing bass, I own a grand total of 7. A Fender Jazz, a P copy, my modded 76 Fender P that's now a fretless, a boutique 4 with a whammy, a boutique 5, a crappy Steinberger copy for fly dates that I never fly with, and a broken 1960 Gibson EB-0. And the boutique basses were $1200 and $1500, and that's hardly anything for a bouqitue bass. The only time I ever bought an amp is when the one I had broke and couldn't be repaired or I got a hellaciously good deal on it. Didn't need the 1966 Ampeg B-15N but the guy only wanted $150 for it, for example. I'm even worse with guitars...I still play the same electric and acoustic guitars I bought in pawn shops 20 years ago. Effects I was the same way. I use a 4 year old Boss ME-33 and a Keeley modded Rat pedal for effects and will use them until they break.

The only three instruments I ever jonesed over were my first Fender P, my first Jazz bass a year and a half ago, and the upright I got 6 months ago. Hardly qualifies as GAS, though. The upright comes close but I'm actually gigging with it so it's paying for itself.

I have never bought a piece of equipment on impulse unless it was a once in a lifetime deal I could never find again and I had a real use for it. Every 3-4 years I get the itch to buy a new bass or guitar, but I truly feel that I have all the instruments I'll ever need now and I don't think I'll be getting that itch again.

I don't lust after anything I see in music stores. I don't need 30 basses, nor do I want the hassle of keeping them up. Gear has always been a means to an end with me. I joke with friends who haven't bought guitars in a long time that they need to get a new one because theirs has run out of music, but now that I have a great Jazz, I'll never buy another one.

What the hell is wrong with me?!? Why can't I have GAS?!? Why can't I go out and make meaningless purchases of gear just because I want it?!? It's not like I'm broke anymore. I can afford it. Maybe it's a response to the years of being broke that's made me unable to enjoy it. Maybe it's because I have a family and other responsibilities or whatever. But I really do want to have GAS. I just don't know how the hell to go about it.

I don't know...how do you guys with the tons of instruments and a need to buy more deal with it? Especially guys with families. I know you're out there...the mortgage and the private school tuition is due but damned if Alembic didn't release an updated Series II with 3 new switches for only $14,000! Come on, let's hear your hideous GAS stories to make me feel good about not having it.
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have no GAS. I've never had more than 2 basses. I also always have 2 rigs...one for the electric gig, one for practice and acoustic gigs. I just keep a minimum of what I need to fill the bassist role at the gig and practice/rehearse.

I think some people are collectors by nature. I've always been the opposite. I feel good when I purge my belongings. Clutter and excess creates stress and disorder in my world.
  3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't think of GAS as buying stuff you don't really need. It can be just have a severe want for something.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My GAS is based around the desire to basically try what's out there. Realistically, I have an instrument for life in my $500 Spector, but, there's just so much stuff out there, I want to give it all a go. The problem, then, is that you can't rent a Stambaugh for six months, or have a temporary home for a JP...which means purchases, and since they're custom instrument; it means planning.

If I were a rich man...
  5. I'm with fourstringdrums ^

I think that there will always be bass gear you want, just like any other thing such as cars, computers... The moment you buy one piece of gear, there's another one you'll want. That is GAS, at least to me it is.