Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why can't I have more cash then sense?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Aug 27, 2001.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
  2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i don't think it is worth $3,500.

3. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    And the reserve isnt met!:eek:

But that bass is so gnarly

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i'd say that $3500 for a 4 string bass made by a machine is pretty gnarly.

i don't think i'd mean the same thing that you do, though :D. ;)

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Are you using gnarly to say "My Conklins make that bass look like poo"? well if you are thats very true.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee, no, i'm not saying that, although thank you :D.

i guess i'm just not getting, and never have gotten, the whole "vintage fender" schtick. i can't imagine a machine-made instrument from any year being worth that much, but especially not from back then, when the tolerances and specs on the machines making the instruments weren't anywhere near what they are capable of being today.

i'm not afraid to spend money on a good bass, obviously, but i can't see how a machine made fender from 30 years ago can even compare to a modern, machine made MIA fender, let alone be 3x the value. you could get the same thing, totally hand made and to your specs, for the same amount of money.

i'm not saying that you shouldn't dig that bass - i totally dig the painted headstock, very cool. i guess the vintage thing just pi$$es me off sometimes.

that's just me, though, i'm probably just weird. :D

7. Of course you're weird! :D

Hey, I love that bass, I am a huge fender fan, sadly to say, but that is toooooo much money. As newer being better.. I'd think that Fender wasn't quite just pumping them out like they are today.. Now.. if I had $3500 I would probably just get a warmoth or lull built custom to the same specs as that bass, I agree modern machines are far better, but I'd bet that is one sweet bass... Why own a 1956 Fender Precision? Why are they worth so much? Because collectors don't play bass :eek::D:D:

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    It's the same reason why people buy vintage cars that are old and rickety - expensive to buy and maintain, and very uncomfortable to drive with no modern amenities - it's a "collectable" thing.

I collect old comics myself - I have Batman #1 1940 and Superman #1 1939 - why? I have no idea, except that a lot of people buy old things to collect them.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have played some old fenders (pre-cbs,) and i love them. I don't care if they're a collectors item, i love them. I personally prefere the sound of a pre-cbs over a new MIA fender by a lot. I haven't played a sadowsky, though. Everybody doesn't have to like the same thing, ya know.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the memory reamins...

11. I don't like Fenders, but that IS a sweet looking bass. I love the colour. Just one question (I know nothing about old basses) Where is the pickup? Under that silver thing?

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Where's rickbass?

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's the scarcity of the product, coupled with demand from collectors and players... simple.

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    this one will probably end up in some collectors humidity controlled room... never see the light of day or the business end of a cable again! And that to me is a shame, because collectors have pushed the prices up, and nobody ever gets to play some truly remarkable inst. I would never even try on an auction like this, but it is beautiful, and in great condition.... But I think I would rather spend a little less on a Sadowsky!:D

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah. that is sweet looking fender... but that price is ridiculous.. and it sucks that it will probably never be played on stage again. what a waste of some beautiful pieces of wood. :mad:

16. When you are in front of a bass with such a finish you could think it has never been on a stage ...
    I wonder why.
    Beautiful color doesn't mean a beautiful sound of course.

And probably a lot of rockers would prefer kill his mom rather than playing a car bass :eek:.

17. Yeah, both pickups are covered up under those silver things. I am thinking about putting those kind of things on my Jazz bass, and get it all spiffed up. I dunno, I like that look.