1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why can't I hear my bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Viktor, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Hi everyone.I just got a new laptop and when I plug in my bass I can't hear a thing which is strange because I tried recording it with the soundrecorder and I play back the track then I hear it.I tried to play with the sound properties but I found nothing.I'm new....HELP!

2. What program are you using to record into?
    Are you using an interface, or going direct into the soundcard?

3. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    ive gone direct into the soundcard with my bass. you cant hear it while you play, but when you play it back it works.

dont know why, but that happens (with "sound recorder")

4. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    maybe because you've got it set to output nothing until playback

in other words it's recording you, not recording you and playing you

5. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    It seems like you just have microphone set to mute in your OS playback settings even though it's not muted in the recording settings. That would give you the effect you described.

6. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Yeah..that could be the problem couse I'm usin Vista.I could really use some help If anyone had the same problem.Couse my mic is working fine...but I can't hear my self while I'm playing.SOS SOS SOS

7. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    Well when I play through my computer, it's about half as loud when I just play, than when playing back a recording. It's pretty weird, sounds like a similar problem. I'll have a fiddle when I get home.

8. I downloaded " Audacity" when I was taking slap lessons over at www.musicdojo.com and it helps. also, runnign the bass thru a preamp or SansAmp helps tone a ton. I'm simply running thru the cheapo sound card in the PC.

9. It's not clear what you are doing.

Typically you would plug your bass into an interface, which is USB or firewall linked to the laptop. The interface will have monitor and headphone connections. Use these to hear yourself. Then record, when set-up, on the PC. Don't be scared.

Davo