1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

why can't i remember bass lines?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mactac, Apr 17, 2006.

1. I seem to have a major problem. I'll write a bass line (either by myself, or while jamming out a song in my band), and completely forget it.

I've come up with something at home, maybe by itself, or to some drums, or a whole track. I'l play it over & over 100x or more in the hopes of remembering it, and the next day, it's gone.

THis is even worse while jamming out songs with my band ...ie i only get to play it a few times, so it's more easily forgotten.

I've tried recording my lines & coming back to them later, which helps a lot, but obviously it's tough to do that all the time whenever i play my bass.

Am I the only one with this problem? i've made up thousands of great grooves, but they've all dissapeared into the ether.

i've been playing for about 13 yrs....i'm no noob, it's just that i simply can't remember what i play

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've done this as well (although I've only been playing since 2002 and am most definitely still a bass n00b). What I started doing was keeping a notebook. If I come up with something I feel is worth keeping, then I transcribe it to sheet music. Other then making an actual recording (and being able to find it later) this is my best way to remember any of my grooves at a future date.

Otherwise I have to try and tease it out of my brain, which is painful and slow.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Download some free recording software like Audacity or pick up a cheapo casseste recorder, like a low-end Tascam. I've done the same thing - I've probably lost quite a few great ideas in the past several years, because I had not had a way to record them.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Definitely record everything you like. I tend to be Forgetful Jones when it comes to writing music as well. I'm still in the process of learning to write and read music, so writing it down at the spur of the moment doesn't come easily for me.