Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why Can't I Stop Buying GEAR!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I can't stop!!! Do I have to get some medical help? The basses I currently have are:

3 USA Spectors, NS-2, NS-4, NS-5,

G&L L-2000,

79 Fender P bass w/EMG P/J & BadAss II,

79 Fender P-Frankinstein w/Warmoth neck, no finish, Seymour Duncan 1/4 lb P/J & BadAss II Bridge,

Warmoth Sadowsky clone 5 string w/Emg 40 J's & Aguilar preamp (best bass I own & finished building it on thursday),

Jay Turser StingRay w/Seymour Duncan MM passive pick up, Schaller machines, & BadAss II.

I recently sold an Ibanez BTB bass, Fender Geddy Lee bass (WHY?), MIM P w/1/4 LB, Schaller machines, BadAss II, 81 USA Charvel P/J, Gene Simmons Punisher, 2 euro Spector NS4-CR's, Spector Euro NS-5 CR. I just sold my Ampeg SVT 3 & got an SVT 2, just got an SVT 810 & I still have a 410. What the heck is wrong w/me. I'm only in an original band that plays about once a month for peanuts. I ony have 2 hands!!! Institutionalize me NOW?!?!?

Hey, Visit my band <a href="http://www.theoremnyc.cjb.net"><b>THEOREM's</b></a> website!!!

2. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I know what you are talking about. The last 8 or 9 years..
    A Carvin 5, Tobias Standard 5, Tobias Classic 5, Modulus Q5,
    Lakland Dlx 5, Roscoe 5 and a Fodera 5...an MTD 5 or 6 may be coming...I have got to stop!!
    Dan

3. i am trying to feel your pain Nino but i still think you need a ThunderBird, a RIC and a Stingray :D

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Nino : Even I never haved (nor will have) so many basses but I can't understand that.
    The only thing that keeps me away for constant GAS is ... my wife ;)
    She forces me to sell something before buying something elsed (mmmh ... let's say ... a bass, randomly ;) ) and sometimes it's too hard to get rid of anything so ... no further acquisition.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hi nino, you said you had a gene simmons punisher, could you tell me more about this bass sound?
    thanks

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I've had a Thunderbird (Hated it), 2 black Rics, 1 white 4001, 1 red (owned the same one twice, sold it & rebought it), 1 natural & 1 sunburst (FireGlow) that turned out to be a fake. I had a 76 Sting Ray (regret the day I sold it, but I bought a car w/the $$$), a trans red Ernie Ball, a black fretless Sterling, black /rosewood Sterling, black/maple Sterling, & a Sunburst sterling. I didn't mention these cause i sold them so long ago!!!

I have a Spector Rex 2000-4 on order which is a downsized Thunderbird & I have all the parts to upgrade it i.e, Americam Spector bridge, EMG 35 J pick-up's, Aguilar OBP-1 preamp, Gotoh gols tuning machines!!!

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    What does GAS stand for. I've seen it a few times & I guess it has nothing to do w/farting. LOL!!! :) I also have a wife, A VERY UNDERSTANDING WIFE!!! She also forces me to sell something before buying something else. But I don't think I can part w/my American Spectors (got too good a deal on all 3) my G&L is unsellable. When I got it the finish was stripprd off the neck & body & has no decal, but I used it in my 1sy band & plays like a dream. My wife is convinced I'm NUTS!!!

8. sorry to hear you hated the thunderbird, they are top on the love/hate list i think. funny about the RIC i did the same thing. i sold it to get a pedulla and about 6 years later i walked into the same music store and the guy who had bought it just traded it in 2 days earlier so i bought it back. i knew it was mine because it still had the chip in the front from when my music stand fell on it. talk about the hand of fate. :D

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Didn't really play it too often. It was very uncomfortable. Don't remember how it sounded. Sorry. :(

10. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    The only thing that keeps me from buying everything in site is my lack of funds. Once I get a job though......

11. GAS= Gear Accquisition (proper spelling?) Syndrome

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    GAS is the sign of an extremely shallow person, now wheres that Lakland Catalogue [​IMG]

13. People with GAS for basses is lucky.

Much more common is GAS for cars, and much more expensive...

14. Isn't there a detox center for people with GAS?

:D:D:D:D

Derek J. Power

15. Actually, GAS for basses replaced my GAS for high-end stereo stuff. Bass GAS is not nearly as expensive and the differences in gear is much less subtle!

Plus, the people on talkbass are MUCH cooler than the Hi-Fi stereo crowd! ;)

16. Yes there is.Just send your extra gear to the Willie Dizon Ford Clinic.Instead of money I'll take your acquisitions.No guarranteed cure,but you'll have more room in your living quarters.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I gave up on anything other than mid-level stereo gear years ago. I met some guys who could supposedly recognize the gear the source was playing through...blindfolded. Was that to be my future?:eek:

Given that, I did just put in-walls in my kitchen and a sub over the cabinet above the refrigerator, connected to the surround sound receiver that I run the digital cable through...and I've gotten a little carried away with x-10:D

Hey, at least I didn't buy any Levinson gear for the powder room;)

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I really hoped "GAS" had something to do with farting :( LOL

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It does. It's the farting of cash everywhere you can.

20. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    That's funny, I think exactly the same. For the last 2 years, I had severe GAS about Home-Theater DVD Stuff (even webmastering one of the most popular french website about DVD), and I agree, the gear is MUCH more expensive for a very thin gain of quality (sometines, the gain is just in your mind, justifying your acquisitions ;) ).
    And I agree, the musicians/Talbassers are so much more nice and open.
    In the Hi fi world, most guys are "integrist" (is it english ?), considering people only on the costs of their equipment, and scorning people with low-end gear.
    I'm glad that bassgear GAS is back ;)