Why Can't I Stop Buying GEAR!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Feb 3, 2001.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Hi Everyone,

Nino - How do you like your Jay Turser? I've been fighting the urge to buy a MIM Jazz, but I broke down today and ordered a Jay Turser 4 string Stingray clone. I played one in a local music store, and it sounded pretty darn good!

-Shin

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    As in detox, you need to change your GAS into something else.
    I use CAS, ie. go buy cds whenever GAS strikes.
    I just found AC/DCs If you want blood in second hand store for 5 bucks :D

The small problem is, I have bought 7 cds in past couple weeks ;)

3. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ooopps :oops: I just farted and out came a nice 70's MusicMan Stigray!
    GAS there's no cure!

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I remember doing everything I could to convince my husband that I just HAD to have an acoustic electric bass that I fell in love with at the store. It would have been my third bass at the time (but I have more now. Hee hee!)

He was already exasperated at all my purchases of music gear, everything from music stands for transcriptions to tuners to metronomes to cables to transcription books to picks to pedals...you know what all. Finally I remember him yelling in frustration, "No fifty year old woamn needs three bass guitars!) Then we both burst out laughing. It was really funny, but I got my acoustic electric bass for Christmas.

Anyway, my constant argument was that at least I wasn't asking for jewelry. I also have never been one to buy expensive clothes, or drive expensive cars. So I used to "get" him with that argument before acquiring yet another bass gizmo.

Now, however, that I am not in any bands, I can't justify equipment purchases, but I do still look longingly at Carvin catalogs and Bass Player's annual bass equipment magazine makes me wish I could win the lotto. I guess it is a disorder we bass players can never cure, but only try to control.

One thing none of you bring up is the space it takes to store all your basses and cabinets, etc. My gear pretty much takes up one (small) room in our house. Where on earth do you guys with ten or more basses plus sound amplification equipment store all that?

In fact, I keep telling my husband we need a bigger house and he says it's just because of my bass gear. What do you guys do? Rent storage space at one of those storage room places?

jason oldsted

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i haven't even been playing a year, but my complusive personality drives me to buy more.

hopefully by saturday i'll have a new Fender ;):D

6. Sorry man, there is no known cure for GAS. But what did you think? Your asking a bunch of GAS addicts. Everyone in here would steal some of your GAS to add to their Gas if given a chance. By the way how did you get so much gear? Did you roll one of us Gas addicts under the bridge? The only relief I know of for GAS is to buy more gear. You will have some good days and you will have some bad days. Just hang in there my friend, drinks lots of coffee (put a dime or two in the tip jar)and do not give up cause Gas will get a lot worse before it gets better. Hope these words of wisdom helps a little!!

7. OldMan

OldMan

Feb 11, 2001
    They will help you!
    Look an me I'm cured!

What do you think about a 7-string? I mean just for fun..

8. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

J O I have the same problem I need a bigger house for all my gear!:)
    I have a finished basement and my wife "lets me" have half of the it for a rehearsal room and gear room. I love having the practice room at my house and a great understanding wife.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Yup, when I tell Hubby we need more room, he just says if we bought a bigger house, I'd buy more bass "stuff" to fill it up and then we'd be back where we started...in a house too small. Also, we'd need to go from our sedans back to a big SUV to haul the stuff if and when I ever get in another band.

jason oldsted

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Guys, guys :D Ya' gotta' "go vertical". Get some of that
    "slot board" like the music stores use and start puttin' stuff
    on the walls. I pretty much had no choice. There's no spouse
    to "regulate" my G.A.S. :D , so it varies from SBD to nuclear assault.
    There are, however, li'l doggies gettin' along who see a tall,
    wooden thing sittin' in a stand on the floor and mistake it for
    a tree...Hey Hey HEY! This is MY territory! I'm the Alpha, you're
    the Beta...if ya' don't wanna' be the Omega, stop peein' on my bass! :p .
    Those simple hanger doo-hickies can be had at Mars for ~$20/each.
    The only extra ya' might need would be some "anchors" in case
    ya' can't find a stud, or it's inconvenient to locate near a stud.
    These things will support a Conklin GT-7, for example.

( http://marsmusic.com/store/search.jhtml?type=products&position=1&thumb=off&query=hanger )

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

notduane, I have been wondering about those hangers.

Do the strings go dead or get corroded?

I could hang all of my babies on the walls and store the cases in the garage.

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hmmmm...not that I've noticed. `Course I've got tapes on two,
    flats on three, and phoshpor-b rounds on another. It's an old
    house and the heating/AC really sucks. I got a lot of fans
    to keep air movin'. Also, I got a little DE-humidifier from
    Sears and run it when things get "moist". The only thing
    I've noticed is a light layer of dust from time to time.
    I'm guessin' it's mostly pet dander. 4 Long-haired Chows?
    Nahhh, they don't shed :rolleyes:. But then again, I'm a
    total "Oscar Madison" slob :p .

13. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    I believe that GAS is a manifestation of man's inherent primal need to hunt and gather. Now that meat's so easy to get, we have to strive for Sadowskys and Epifanis or whatever.

My GAS has led to collecting HotWheels. A small quick fix. Got hundreds of 'em. Cover the walls on my bass room. What else do you guys/gals collect besides bass gear?

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

notduane, I hear ya!

My wife has an Umbrella Cockatoo, and that dagblamed powder down is all over the place!

15. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm a cheap S.O.B. Instead of a set of Brittanicas with regular updates,
    I get the "Information Please" almanac every year :p .
    Hmmm...maybe you could train him to hold a groove like Baretta's "Fred".
    That'd make for a cool metronome! :p Yeah!...instead of picks,
    tape some peanuts to your bass and flick him one every 16 bars or so
    to keep him focused :D .

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Since I posted this, I bought a G&L L-5500, Spector NS-2000 5Q & I'm looking into getting a Spector NS-5 CR. I'm going insane!!!

17. OldMan

OldMan

Feb 11, 2001
  18. Sorry I've been away for so long.Since I've been gone I've recently bought a Dean Razor.I wasn't going to get it at first,but the more I played it the more I fell in love .The cool thing is I only paid $4oo.oo for it.This puppy looks,plays and sounds great.I'll probably get another.(Since I'm almost a city employee$$$$$,I'll be fueling my G.A.S. more than ever!!!)AAAAAhhhhh,the single life!!!!

19. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Willie....Did you get the neckthru model Razor?

20. Yes,I sure did!!! I didn't think I'd ever buy a neckthru again,but a man can always keep his options open.This particular bass has the amber finish with the quilted top.It's a beauty!!! I'm blown away by the price!!!Very competitive...good for us consumers!!!Hee! Hee!!!Sorry this is short,got to run...to the music store!!!!Yeah baaby!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021