Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why can't I stop wanting to buy a new bass?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eljuapo, Dec 27, 2003.

1. For some reason I'm in desperate need of a P-Bass. Just so you know, right now I have a 4 string Zon Sonus. It's a beautiful bass and sounds like nothing else! But, I have a need. I keep looking around for a sunburst P with a tort guard. You know, Jamerson style. Why can't I just be happy with what I have? It's not like I have a sub-standard instrument.

Anyone else have this kind of problem?

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    You have what is referred to around here as GAS.
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome. This is the reason many have more than one bass. My Gibson doesn't sound like my Carvin. My Carvin doesn't sound like my Yamaha. My Yamaha doesn't sound like my Cort headless. Each have their own distinct personalities and are used accordingly. Run, don't walk down to your Fender dealer and get that P Bass. It will cure your desperation and bring another flavor to your playing. Remember to try as many as you can until you find the perfect P. Not all basses by the same manufacturer are created equal. ;)

3. And as soon as you get the P bass, you'll want a Jazz bass to go along with it!!

At least that's the way I was.

4. Yeah. It WILL happen.

5. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    A new justification circle birth... After that you'll feel... Guilty! :D :bassist:

6. I know how you feel, I just got a new MIM Fender P-bass 4 weeks ago(transparent daphne blue), and already I have my eye on an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird for about the same price, I wish I would have noticed it before!

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I bought this off the rack at GC in Southfield, added the PG and the covers. Yeah! It's a joy!
    [​IMG]

8. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I just cured my GAS (for now) by treating myself to a Geddy Lee bass... because every bassist needs a Jazz...

I already love it so much more than my ESP

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't worry, you'll get over it ... when you own 41 basses.

10. Ain't that the truth..........:bassist:

11. My amp GAS will be cleared on January 5th :D:D

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Naaah...why stop at 41? If I had the money, I'd have that many basses and many more, plus all the sound gear and rack units to go with them.:D

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    GAS sucks.. in the past year ive bought 3 new basses...newest of which i just payed for today and itll be shipped andn arrived sometime in the next 2 weeks.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Because you don't practice enough.

15. Kevin V

Kevin V

Mar 12, 2003
    Union, New Jersey
    I look into my future of buying basses, and I ponder the end of my GAS...

I always picture myself in that scene of Spinal Tap(where Nigel is in a room full of guitars), yelling at people to stop looking at my basses.

16. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Wise words from a GAS Expert!