Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why can't I use alkaline batteries???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grunge, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Grunge

Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    Brazil
    why can't a do that????????
    alkaline batteries, are much stronger than the regular ones, so if u think in this way it would make you active bass sound better.......
    :confused:

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Aren't nearly all non-rechargeable batteries alkaline?

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Iv'e used Duracells in active basses since 88. So calm down, take a deep breath and give us some more information.

4. Grunge

Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    Brazil
    nope.........

5. They still sell non-alkaline batteries in Brazil? Damn.

Anyhow, it's better to use an alkaline battery in your preamp. If you leave your cable plugged in for a few days with an old-fashioned acid battery, you might get battery acid leaking everywhere. Nasty.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...Because you can't afford it?

I think that by Alkaline Grunge means batteries like Duracell and the like. Needless to say he'd be a lot more helpful if he provided a source for his misinformation.

And Peter, There still are non-alkaline batteries in the US, AFAIK. In Braziil, we still have some of the old brands like Ray-O-Vac and Eveready, The latter, a subsidiary of Union Carbide...

7. I prefer regular Carbon batteries anyway.

Alkaline's cost 3 times more and last only twice as long.

Besides, I like putting a new battery in before every gig, so there's no second guessing.

Trying to milk all the juice possible out of a battery is looking for trouble.

Rechargables usually don't even put out 9 volts.
    Eveready rechangers put out 7.1 at 150 ma,
    way too low and short for me.

The best rechargables I've found were 8.1 volts and 150 ma.

If anyone knows of a Rechargable Battery that actually puts out 9 volts and more then 150 ma,
    please let me know....

8. I agree with Donne on the rechargeables. Don't use 'em. If you change batteries before every gig, carbon batteries are fine. There's absolutely no reason why you couldn't use regular alkaline batteries, though. There are some people who believe that old style carbon batteries "sound" better than alkalines, but I've yet to see or hear any actual evidence that supports that.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What's that rubbish about not using rechargeables?

I use 'em for years and they work fine.

I use Panasonic NiMH 160mAh

10. I've never personally experienced rechargeables that produced more than 8V. That is not to say that there aren't any. I find that they go flat a lot quicker than non-rechargeables, as well. My experience with rechargeables has not been good, that's why I suggest not using them. If they work for you, that's fine:D

11. Oh, you mean like Eric Johnson? Actually, there is something to that for guitar distortion pedals in terms of power sag compression (dying carbon batteries lose voltage a lot faster than dying alkalines, and thus give more compression)--but for bass applications, I doubt there's any real tonal difference.

12. Grunge

Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    Brazil
    well.....I really meant Alkaline batteries(Duracell).

As I said i bought my BTB this month, started playing it and then finally sat to read the manual. While i was reading it i noticed that there wasn't anything about batteries there.....
    Then i checked the bass' box, and there it was:
    Warning: Using alkaline can damage your instrument.

f***, why???

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Zoom 506 pedal, (the first one) the manual says not to use alkaline batteries. I tried it and the battery went dead in about 10 minutes.

14. Mike Fuller recommends Carbon batteries for the Fulltone Bass Drive.

They last forever in a well designed, low drain application like the FBD.

The manual states:

"I recommend using a Carbon-Zinc 9 volt battery such as the Eveready "Classic" or "Super Heavy Duty" instead of an Alkaline, which although they last longer, tend to sound harsh!"

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Are you serious? I get 6 months out of the batteries in my basses. I change them at Christmas and the 4th of July. Yes, I do carry a spare to gigs, never needed it.

Carbon batteries will sag under high current draw, if you want max headroom from your preamp the alkalines actually do work better.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's not true. I had a 506 and the manual said to use ONLY alkaline batteries.

Yes, it did eat batteries...I think the manual claimed only about 3 hours on a fresh set.

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    i use the energizer E2 batteries in my pilot & it works great and one lasted over 6 months before i changed it. However, my dano pedals hate them-thought they were dead then tried them with the wall wart & magic they work better [not good but better than they were]. thats all

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I guess you're right. I gave away my pedal a long time ago. Sorry for the misinformation, and thanks for correcting me. However, I did not use the type of battery the manual said to use, and it ate it up in a very short time, in minutes not hours.

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Batteries that are fresh out of the box are not necessarily full.
    After learning that the hard way I now stick to rechargeables and AC-adaptors.

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I put a Duracell in the Warwick when I changed the pickups (Alembic) August 01. I dont remember when I put the battery in the Stingray. Come to think of it, ive changed the battery once and its a 97 bass.

:eek:

I bought two new batteries Sat-I know where that are going.