Why can't they sell this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt Hans, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Are you sure its the same one? That looks like a dealler to me, perhaps he just copies his auction over when he puts a new one up.
  3. I believe Guitar Center would be considered a dealer(or maybe a 'pusher').
  4. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    At least it's not the absolutely torn up older spector 4 I saw at a GC. 1800 bucks for a used beat up cracking finish spector? They're out of their minds.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Our good friend Josh Curry has seen and played this bass and he said it's not worth it. The description says in good condition but he told me it's fair at best, chips and scratches. It's a GREAT price for an American Bolt-On, even hammered that's a GREAT price but it's guitar center and what do they know. I have seen stuff listed by Guitar Center that has had the wrong description (completely different bass) for it before.

*Side note. I walked into the Pasadena (CA) Guitar Center one day and they had a couple of Euro's on the wall and I was bored so I took one down and low an behold the neck was so bowed the strings were resting on the FRETBOARD. I told the CLERK and he said "oh, we'll fix that right away". I gave him the bass and walked into another room. Walked back into the room where the Spector was and it was hanging up again without being fixed. I went to my car got my tools and fixed it, I can't see a Spector in that condition.

I remember when you had to know something and care about music to work at Guitar Center. SHAME.
  6. Check the guy's feedback. 6 Negatives out of 28 Responses. That's pretty bad. Also, Some of the GC Reps have pretty nasty feedback.
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ive been watching it for quite a while, but the whole GC thing kept me from doing anything else about it.
  8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    according to Josh Curry that thing has been at that guitar center for awhile.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    85% positive is never a good thing. Move on.
  10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Firk is correct.

I have seen and played this bass first hand. It is NOT worth what they are asking for it. The condition is not nearly as good as they claim. It is very scratched up and has a large 1/2" square area chunk of paint (exposing raw wood) missing out of the top of the headstock. Nice of them to post pics of that, eh? I tried to offer them a 'fair' price for it, considering I would immediately send it back to Spector to be repaired and re-finished. But the guy practically laughed at me saying 'we paid more than that for it', which isn't my problem, so I literally laughed at him and walked out.

Unless they drop the price to closer to $650, forget about it. Unless you absolutely have to have this one, the color is kind of rare. But, if they do, you better be quicker than me ;)

Oh yeah, they've had it since 2002.
  11. if its guitar center its overpriced
  12. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Here's another one on Ebay I ran across from GC: TRIBUTE

Very interesting sales tactics from this guy too. Opening bid is $924.00 which is wierd since it hasn't sold through 4 previous listings (That I found) at $750.00.

Seeing as how I bought a brand new Tribute L-2500 for $550.00, the GC price seems a BIT of a ripoff. Don't forget to add your $63.14 shipping & handling. :rolleyes: