Why Carpet on Cabs???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 12, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I'm helping a friend who's just getting into bass, and he was wondering why bass cab all come in carpet. why not tolex? and suddenly, i wondered the same.

2. Some do come in tolex, but not many.

I think it's because carpet is pretty much an invincible covering for cabinets. It takes a lot to tear it.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: maybe its so velcro sticks to it! Or maybe its a better shock absorber than tolex. Tougher, maybe? Looks nicer?? I dunno? :confused:
  4. Because bass cabs are big, boxy, heavy and unwieldy and they get banged around a lot. Carpet simply holds up better than tolex in my experience.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Tolex rips easily and looks like crap afterwards. Carpet is tough.

Imagine an Eden D210XLT in a nice berber;)
  6. I'm partial to shag myself. :)
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

then why doesnt Marshall or Mesa Boogie cover all of their guitar cabs in carpet?

isnt there something else, other than carpet, that manufacturers can use? why not a plastic of some sort?

IMHO, carpet is by far the worse thing to try to wash out last nights smokey club smell, spilled beer smell, barf spill/smell from that unsuspecting patron, or that morning's coffee, or whatever else felt like falling onto my cab that day... :( just seems like the most inconvient material to use for gigging, no?
  8. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    That's heritage, they can't be changed.

Glockenklang uses some sort of epoxy coating on their cabs. It is really tough and looks good. I've been wondering why that is not used more widely.
  9. I hate carpet covered cabs and amps. After a few gigs in a smokey, smelly pub they get absolutely minging.:(

10. You can hoover, and then Fabreze them. I haven't gigged my carpet coverd gear yet, so don't know how effective it is...

I have been told that roadies prefer carpet covered cabs. When you turn them upside down (ie feet up in the air) you can slide them across stages better. :)
  11. I used to cover my cabinets with carpet (the stuff used on the inside of car trunks. Quick and easy. Nowadays I put a thin layer of black paint on (shows the wood grain a little) and finish it with 3-4 layers of polyurethane floor finish.

I think it's the most beautiful and resistant finish imaginable. So why don't companies do this? I think it's because it would increase the price by up to 25%. Spraying 4-5 layers of paint is time consuming and environmentally unattractive (read: expensive) for a cabinet building company.

Moral: you want a nice finish on your cab, you're gonna have to bring some money ;)

PS. You want a nice finish on your cab, and you want it to sound good, you're gonna have to bring some really serious money :D
  12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I don't know why they choose carpet for covering cabs but I can vouch for Febreze (and its generic store brand versions) as being extremely effective at removing bar smells from carpeted gear.
  13. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    There was a guy who posted to the forum a while back who said he covered his cabs with spray-on bedliner stuff used for pick-up trucks.

Sounded like it was indestructible.
  14. Febreze worked a treat for a while then things started to get decidedly sticky, so I cleaned the carpet covering with a Vax carpet cleaner.:D I bet all the big stars have a roadie to do this for them:bassist:
    Our guitarists 10 year old daughter is available for cable cleaning at reasonable rates. She prefers this to cleaning chimneys or working down coal mines.:D
  15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    How about ceramic tile?
  16. my cat loves the carpet of my laney! :D :rolleyes: :oops:
  17. the carpet serves a double-purpose: it protects, but also it deadens the cabinet walls to lessen overtones and unwanted sonic artifacts.
  18. Me. Yes. It was tougher than the wood underneath. I've since learned to cover the wood with a coating of clear shellac beforehand. Especially if you're using MDF or particle board.

The truck liner stuff is also very easy maintainence. If some gets ripped off (good luck) then you just spray some more on.

I don't have time to check the acoustic differences though.
  19. :D
  20. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Though carpet can smell bad and hold stains, it's hard to destroy the stuff - unless, that is, you have a cat. Given enough time, a cat will tear the stuff up. The edges of my old SWR Basic Black combo looked like black cotton candy by the time I sold it. :eek: