Why college is better than high school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 29, 2004.

1. 1: Everyone's nice. In high-school, it seemed that many people were jerks and were very uncourteous and mean. Now that I'm in college, everyone is extremely nice and friendly, to an almost shocking extent. This is the friendliest place I've ever been, and it's my life now. People go out of their way to say hi or open doors for each other, and complete strangers become friends in very short times. There's none of those negative/immature/superior attitudes I'd encounter all of the time in high-school. Not even the upperclassmen are snobby!

2: Everyone's trustworthy. In my dorm building, most people just leave their propped open/unlocked all the time without worry. At lunch, people secure tables by leaving their wallets/keys on the table. Those types things would be considered crazy/stupid back in high-school.

3: There are things to do all the time. On campus, or off, there are always events, concerts, movies, parties, etc etc etc. (btw, I was quite disappointed with the band I saw last night, but that is not the point!) Even when just hanging out in your dorm/a friend's dorm or the lounges, it seems like there's always stuff to do. And when alone, and in doubt, I can just head to the basement lounge in my dorm and chill with all the other nice people in my dorm.

4: It seems like it's all girls. :hyper: I guess this could go against you if you're a girl, but hey, it works for me. The group I usually hang out with is literally all girls except for me. :)

The food is excellent, relatively speaking. First of all, there are many food options on campus, and there are many off-campus, bus-accesible locations that take our college debit account. The main place to eat is a set up like a cafeteria. The food there isn't of the highest quality, but it's still much better than what I'd get at home. (and is infinitely better than HS cafeteria food) Anyhow, why do I like this place so much? Because it's all-you-can eat! I think I should be starting to gain some healthy pounds now. In that hall, they have an assortment of selections, such as different types of burgers, pizza, deli sandwhiches, a complete salad bar, stuff they refer to as "southern bistro" (it's like cooked chicken etc I think), fish, breakfast cerials, deserts, pasta a seperate breakfast menu etc etc etc. Anyhow, what's also great about it, is that besides the fountain sodas that everyone flocks to, they have 7 different types of juices (orange, apple, grape, cranberry, strawberri-kiwi, appleberry, and "blue cooler") and milk! (skim, whole, chocolate) There are many other places to get food on campus, and their quality of food is usually much higher, (they treat each burger with love instead of putting down 40 at once) but they dont' have the selection of juices, and what you buy is what you get; you can't just get more or have 10 different types of food on your plate ta once. However, these places are very pretty and have great views/architechture.

5: Better rec facilities!!! Forget a little weightroom and a field fields/tracks or two, this rec facility is unbelievable! It's huge, and it looks like an oriental temple of sorts. They have several full-sized rock walls, which I would never expect to see in high-school, as well as a huge, two-story weightroom filled with equipement, and a million cardio-style machines, plus various courts for basketball, raquetball, tennis etc, and a full-sized indoor track running around the ceiling. Then there's, of course the pool. The whole facility just looks so amazing and modern, I love it so much. They really need this stuff in high-school!

6: Class... there's alot less of it, and it's on a flexible schedule! There's no more getting up at 6 in the morning and being stuck in school for 7 hours straight. I like it that way. Even on weekdays, I can stay up as late as I wish.

7: Did I forget this one? NO PARENTS!! I know my mommy and daddy love me and they've done everything they can do to help me and such, but still, it's nice living independently. I can do whatever I want without being judged or critisized, which is very nice. I'm my own man, with my own schedule, although my parents are still heavily involved financially.They're really great guys, I just work better without a constant judgemental prescense. They'll be shocked when I turn my grades around ironically because they're not on my case about it. ( I got into this college mostly based on music, but I'm an undecided major now)

I'm sure there are more reasons, but that's my list for now! There are some things that aren't so great though, like diversity, or lack thereof. Most people here white and female, more or less. Geographically, it's more mixed, with alot of people from NY (specifically longisland), new jersey, texas, california, washington state etc, international students too, as well as a large population from Virginia, but that's about the only type of diversity we have, which is not what I'm used to.

Anyhow, this is my ode to college, and how wonderful it is. Right now, I'm an undeclared major at James Madison University in Virginia. Go college! :hyper:
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    sounds like my high school :D

(except for the rec room and gym stuff)

btw: my college is nothing like that, berklee is decentralized, no campus, I don't live in the dorms, I don't hang out on mass ave(the closest thing to a campus) ..etc.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The greeks tend to be much nicer durring rush week, but wait till thats done and you'll see them shunning anyone who's not in.

That asside, I pretty much agree.
  4. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    The anticipation is killing me. Have a good time.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    And don't forget "real" gigs! I had a lot of fun in college, regularly did pub gigs and outdoor gigs in the quad. Also got to play with some of the well known musicians that came around, like Dizzy Gillespie, Jan Hammer, Stanley Jordan... College can be very fun. The only disappointing experience I had there (musically speaking) was when two frat houses were having a war, and one of them stole the other's grand piano, hoisted it up 4 stories, and dropped it on the lawn. I was walking to the computer center at six in the morning and there were piano keys and pieces of the soundboard strewn all over the grass. :( The rest of the college experience was pretty good. :)
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. All that "ah, college" stuff is lost on me.
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What year are you?

My old drummer started there in Summer B. If you are looking for people to jam with I would really recommend him. Great guy too.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The one advantage i found college had over high school was that you had much more say in what you studied, it helps keep you more interested in what you are doing.
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Do NOT, I repeat,,, DO NOT, allow yourself to be fooled into thinking this way. Everyone's new, & just getting comfortable in thier own space, & schedule...

I had a $1k bicycle stolen, that was chained up in the bike rake,, just outside the front door to my dorm. Campus police are a joke when it comes to stuff like that, too.

If you just leave your stuff open, people WILL start to help themselves...
  10. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    I think ur lying it just sounds to good to be true. Everything about it seems like what i want. It seems like the complete opposite of high school.
  11. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    College really IS liberating... However, if you're the sort of person that "Gets by w/o every really having to work at it", or "You're parents always have to MAKE you do the right thing"... you're in for an eye-opening experience...

The amount of work required is substantial, & noone's going to be there to make sure you do it... If you don't, YOU WILL FAIL...
  12. My favorite part about college: every day is hat day! :hyper:
  13. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    well college does cost money after all, a substantial amount per year... The state school in my area (U mass) costs 4,000 a year and that's the low end of college tuitions. IMO (I'm not in college btw) college is definitely different than high school in respect to the attitude of the learning experience and the way it is conducted BUT in terms of facilities (gyms, pools, awesome food) college is comparable to a high school that costs a similar amount /year. A high school that costs $20,000 a year is going to have some awesome facilities, amazing teachers, and interesting classes college-like classes.
  14. i never went to college. I shoulda , but i didnt. I do remember that high school really sucked though.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny. That gets me As and Bs.
  16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Being what you guys would call an RA, I see more stuff stolen than you could ever imagine, but nobody knows about it. I encourage my guys to leave their doors open IF THEY ARE IN THE ROOM, but if they step out EVEN FOR A SECOND to shut the door behind them. I had a bike (although crappy) stolen the second dy of school last year, then a backpack was stolen out of the cafeteria a week later--and this is at the world's largest Baptist University (in the U.S.'s third highest city for crime......).
  17. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Very true. Been there, done that :rollno: