Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why "Crafted in Japan"? Why not "Made in Japan" like America & Mexico?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    The title says it all. Why not "Made in Japan"?

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Some bits are made elsewhere.

3. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    obviously they think that by saying 'crafted' it has a ring of better quality about it, than just 'made' in Japan.

4. they ran out serial numbers.. somebody told me that...

5. Ikkir

Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    That's what i heard too.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    With my limited experience in Japan Fender Vintage Reissues:
    Crafted in Japan are more true to the original '51, '62, etc in that they will have grooved saddle bridges, reverse tuners, cloth wiring harness, prooper vintage pots, and the other small vintage details, along with the Fender USA vintage pups..
    Made in Japan have the same Fener vintage pups, and the rest is "more normal issue stuff."

At least that's my limited "vintage reissue experience."
    Either way, I find them to be nice instruments at their price points, tho they have been going up lately.

7. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I also believe, though I could be wrong, that CIJ are built in Japan and not exported and MIJ are made in Japan and are exported. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Ding! Ding! DING!

We have a winner. At one time, when Fender Japan was making lots of exports for the US (MIJ), it differentiated the ones meant for the home market (CIJ)

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The Geddy Lee Jazz is a "Crafted in Japan" which is an export bass. It is funny though, you really don't see them for sale on the Japanese market!

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes, but the designation was switched back when MIJ basses were being made in quantity. Now I believe all Japanese basses are listed as CIJ. For a while, Fender was not importing Japanese made basses, they were coming from Mexico, etc. When they started re-importing them, I believe they came as CIJ.

As always IIRC, IMO, etc.

11. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Does it matter? Would the answer make you more or less willing to purchase?

Just curious...

12. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    The parts are made in Korea and assembled, or "crafted" in Japan.

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Before 1998, japans decals only said MIJ. Then they ran out the alphabet/serials, so they started the serial numbers over by simply changing the decals to say CIJ. That's why sometimes people tend to think they have a bass made 10-15 years older than it actually is...they just didn't look to see if it said MIJ or CIJ.

14. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    It's funny... I had been led to believe (or hope :smug: ) that "Crafted In Japan" indicated a higher degree of that intangible something that used to be called "Craftsmanship".

With that impression in my head, I admit that I had a heightened willingness to purchase something from Fender that was "Crafted" instead of just "Made".

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Nope. Wouldn't matter at all.

Skel

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I will say this, though. Whether something says "Crafted in Japan", or "Made in Japan", the meaning of that has changed in my lifetime. It used to be a funny joke, like it was cheap. And as a kid, I really don't remember buying anything that was made anyplace except the US or Japan. My perception was that Japan made transistor radios - very cool ones, I might add. I distinctly remember walking past somebody's house and seeing a "Toyota", and saying to myself "Oh, that's sad, they can't afford a decent car".

Well, the times they are a changed. Now "Made in Japan" means to me that I am getting the highest quality product I could possibly get. I remember my first Japanese car - my girlfriend (now wife) and I traded her Camaro in on a Mazda GLC. The Camaro was probably worth about 4 times what the Mazda was worth then, and now the Camaro would be worth about 50 times that of the Mazda. But I didn't know that then. I quickly learned that now I had a car that would start after it got hit by a train in a 40 degree below zero blizzard, and when the gas guage said "empty", that meant you could only make if about half way to California. I also remember looking at my Honda Accord one day, and saying to myself "What do I need to do to get this thing to die? I've had it for 10 years, and I'm sick of it". You only traded your car in when something was wrong with it, and nothing ever went wrong with the stupid thing. But one time, just to "buck the system" I bought a '95 Buick - I think a Regal coupe - really nice looking car. That car was top notch, but I totaled it. I owned the car - no payments, so I took the insurance money, and I was temporarily in a very small town close to Kansas City. In the American midwest, they still do American cars big time. I walked onto the used car lot and just told the guy "show me anything Japanese". He had about 200 cars, 2 were Japanese. An old Accord, and a Nissan Quest. I bought the Nissan Quest. A couple days later I was getting familiar with the knobs and buttons, and I noticed inside the door jam it said "made by Ford Motors", or "Made in the US for Ford" - something like that, and I about had a heart attack. I frantically got on the net and the phone, and found out it was a joint venture between Ford and Nissan. The same mini van was also sold as the Mercury Villager. I asked what part(s) of it were the Nissan part, and they told me the engine and drive train, so that was instant relief. They told me Ford did the electronics, which explained why most of that didn't work right. A beater van is great for a musician, though, and I love not caring at all if it gets dented, that kind of stuff.

Skel