1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why did a 12pack sell for less than a Goliath Jr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Damani311, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Just really curious......the list price on the Goliath is almost $150 more than the 12 pack, and I know the 12 doesnt have a tweeter, but still...........

I found this interesting.

2. SWR list prices seem to be very inflated. I've owned both of those cabs, plus two Goliath IIIs. I bought a GIII Jr. and kept it only two days because it wouldn't handle volume at low frequencies without farting out!
    Bought a 12Pack on closeout in 2006 and loved it. I also love the Goliath IIIs.

Now, back to the pricing. First of all the 12Pack was made in Mexico, which I'm sure affected the cost of the unit. Dealer cost on the GIII 4x10 was a little over $500 even though list was over $1200. Unless the 12Pack used cheaper drivers (which I never thought to be the case) the only reason I can see is the country of origin. Plus the Goliath series was a much more popular line than the 12Pack and 12Stack.

I just sold my 12Pack and wish I hadn't now! It's a great sounding 2x12!

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    yes it is, i was just playing it this morning! :)

there is a pair of them right now on eBay.

JR

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I used to have two of the SWR Bigfoot cabinets(2x12 Bag end speakers plus tweeter).Biggest mistake I ever made was selling them - very light and sounded amazing stacked with my AmpegSVT2 non-pro on top.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Goliaths have broader appeal, so they're of greater value regardless of what it cost SWR to build them.

Prices for things aren't always cost based, they're often value based.

An example (I believe) is with automobiles. Economy cars are sold at a loss to the automaker because they HAVE to have them to have a full-line and to boost their CAFE (fuel economy) ratio. They make their profits back (when they're operating in the black I suppose) on larger cars, luxury cars and SUVs.

7. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Not just no tweeter, but also no crossover, so fewer parts and less labor to assemble.

Asad

8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021