1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did Aguilar discontinue their combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Oct 8, 2013.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Greetings, with Aguilar having and continuing to build such a sterling reputation, I was thinking about looking into their combo bass amps..... then to find out... they're discontinued?????

The premium combo bass amp market is heating up.. lots of premium grade combos coming out. I've been reading a lot about the Aguilars, living in Alaska and not easily accessible to bass amps, I learn most everything here on TB.

Sooo, why are they gone? Thanks in advance for your answers.:bassist:

2. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    From my own point of view, combos seem somewhat limited in what they can offer. It's nice to be able to offer something like that in a single package. But I personally find a micro head and a single 1x12" speaker to be just as compact and probably more convenient/versatile than a combo amp. I suspect that Aguilar's customer base probably feels very much the same way.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

My guess is for the same reason any company discontinues a product line... they most likely weren't selling.

In these days of super lightweight heads and cabs, the 'combo' concept is not quite as interesting as it was 20 or 30 years ago IMO.

4. gzarate85

gzarate85

Jul 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Wow, 20-30yrs ago? I would say maybe 10yrs ago. I don't think micro heads and lightweight cabs have been around long enough for combo cabs to not be as interesting (interpreting as 'popular') as they were 20 or 30yrs ago. Besides the point though. Lol.

That said, I agree with KJung in that anytime a product is discontinued it usually means sales didn't justify keeping it around.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yeah, I guess 10 years is a better time frame. +1 I was into the micro's way back when with the Walter Woods, but most were not at that point.

That being said, that little GK MB150 combo was a game changer 20+ years ago also. The very lightweight Markbass combos seem to still sell also. So, I guess there is still room in the category if you do it right.

However, the large, heavy combo like the Aguilar models that were discontinued make little sense these days IMO.

6. gzarate85

gzarate85

Jul 16, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Agreed! I have a GK RB700II/210 combo. And I've contemplated selling it for some time now because it's just not ideal for what a combo was meant to be used as (mobile, small, efficient) considering what's available nowadays. I feel like I can get better efficiency with little compromise in power and sound with a micro amp and lightweight cab.

You can't forget the BEST combo ever though! The walkabout scout. The amp makes it a little heavy but man does that thing sound great!

To the OP, my suggestion would be to research some good micro amps and cabs that might serve the purpose your looking for.

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Agreed. Along those lines, the Eden Metro was a killer combo amp but really hard to schlep. Weighed close to 80 pounds, IIRC.

8. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but Aguilar probably doesn't have a massive manufacturing capability since all of their products are at least assembled in the US. Yeah, they are beyond "boutique" but they don't have the market share to keep stuff around that isn't selling at a certain level.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I forgot that Aguilar even made combos at one point. I can't even remember what they were like. Weren't they basically an AC500 in the same box as a speaker? :help:

For what it's worth, Aguilar has discontinued a ton of stuff over the years - the GS115, DB359, DB750, DB729, all of its rack-mount preamps, S series cabinets, their tube DI, etc.

10. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    The market dictated Combo bass amps as a compromise of having separates to convenience. Consumers that needed/wanted high end combo's ended up only representing a very very small portion of the market. Combo's sell at a 800 and below price point above that they collect dust, carrying cost, and floor space. TB represents a sliver of in the know consumers, that are into quality over quantity, Expect over the top customer service, insiders, gear sluts with what reads like great day jobs that pay for more gear than most professional players can afford. The companies that survive on the boards of TB are the small shops that thrive on the ability to make more precise product, simply are at the shop all the time to make a small music products business work and can answer calls directly...don't have a budget for a receptionist ;) know the product better than anyone because its them assembling them on Friday to get out the product.

11. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    You have a compelling argument, I respectfully submit that every day there are questions about combos on the front page of the amps forum. It doesn't look like they are quite dead yet.

I no longer live as a full-time professional musician, rather, I'm a weekend warrior. I bought the Ampeg fridges for my shows, and I still own both combos and separates. I think there are a lot of aspiring bass players here who are buying their first combo, or first big used separate system, and they have discussions with those who are already living in the cream of the crop playing bass for a living. There is a diversity of audience here and that's what I appreciate about TB. One might be a bass player buying their first Ampeg B108 getting advice from a pro musician who uses Ampeg SVT's as backlines.

Thank you for sharing.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    When microamps started to become more popular and affordable, I thought we might see more combos being used. With the amp part so small and light, you wouldn't have to compromise on the speaker box part and you coukd end up with a combo that was more potent, better sounding, expandable, and still keep it in a package that was more convenient than previous combis.

But.....that didn't happen. With the amps becoming so small and light and easy to carry, you kind of don't need the combo and it's still plenty convenient, one trip in with amp and cab.

13. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Yeahhh, the more I read all the answers it does make sense that a 5 pound amp could fit in the pocket of a good bass case. And it gives the user modularity of mixing amps and speakers. That being said, I do have some classic combos that I love their sound, and I'll keep them around because they're worth more to me than I could get for them...

Thanks everyone for chiming in....

14. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Silly question, but were most major manufacturers making 1x12 cabinets 10+ years ago? I personally do not seem to remember seeing any.

That could potentially eat into combo sales imo, due to the size, etc.

15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    The 112 cab seems to be a recent phenomenon, I remember 210's, 115's 410's etc. Just like computers, the trend is smaller, more powerful, more professional more features.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, it is to a degree, but I still see way more regular size SS amps and 410's out there on working musician stages than anything. And the way tube amps have made such a comeback since the 90's is not something I quite expected.

Anyway, combos...yeah, they seem to fall into two categories that sell...really cheap relatively low power ones, or really light loud ones that have expandability. Seen a lot of midline combos that didn't fit the mold go by the wayside. I still lament Ampeg discontinuing the B100R before I got my deal ;) But I didn't buy one when it was out anyway...I didn't know it even existed until just before it went away. And most folks who did see it in stores saw it and the BA115 on the floor and bought the BA115 because it was cheaper and had the same wattage. That's how it go...makes no sense to keep it in the line if it's not selling.

17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I think the combo's of today that do make sense are the small and decent powered Markbass and Carvin MB series. If I'm leaving out anyone, sorry about that. Those two just come to mind. Ultra-lite, small combo's have replaced the big bulky combo's of the past.

18. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Always disliked combos. Still do. But I'm very happy with this purchase. 30 lbs, 200 watts, 12" speaker, small footprint. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. Do I wish it was made by Aguilar? Yes, but then it probably would have cost much more than it did. :)

ImportedPhotos00191.

M. M.

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I would say Price!
    $1200-1400 for a combo is a lot of dough.
    Not very flexible vs a head and cab IMHO.

20. Have you tried the GK with the mbp cab yet?