1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did Aguilar discontinue. . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hyde, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    the S-series? I mean, I'm not complaining, 'cause I just picked up a great 410 for $380(!), but I am curious. I mean, I can't imagine that it was because these things don't sound good! Tone is subjective and all, but IMO my S410 sounds really good so far. Were they just not selling for some reason? Do they have reliability issues that I don't know about? Was Aguilar afraid that (this is the only explanation that really makes sense to me, but I haven't heard anyone else say this, so it's just an irresponsible rumor I'm starting) a well-made less expensive cab was undercutting sales of the Aggie GSs? I'm pretty sure they had only been making them for two years, maybe three, so it seems kind of strange that they would stop all of a sudden.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Who knows really. I suppose they discontinue whatever doesn't sell enough. Look at Jim Bergantino. He has discontinued more smokin gear than most manufacturers will ever make....

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    They're MDF. Which isn't bad for a home theater system.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    On tone, I like the S better than the GS.

I can't wait to play the DB, which looks to me like an S cab with a major materials and components upgrade, and a cooler look!

5. And a major price upgrade as well. I have had the pleasure of playing an AG500 through and S410 and an S210 / S410 stack. I really enjoyed them. I think the S series had a reputation for being the "cheap" version of Aguilar instead of the "more mid-voiced Aguilar". I am sorry they were discontinued.

6. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From what I was told, the S-series sales weren't picking up. I own one S810 that I love and I got reeeeeaaaally cheap. I think most people like either expensive gear or very cheap ones. The S-series was right in the most popular bass brands (Ampeg,SWR,GK) price range but apparently people saw them as a "cheap alternative" no the GS cabs.

I'm sorry to see them go, and now I can only wish to try out one of those DB810s:bawl: They'll probably sound sick.

Peace..