1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did Fender have to do this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marh415, Dec 4, 2018.

1. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    We've seen some complain about not finding basses in the color they like, so consider yourselve very fortunate. :)

3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I'm not really a fan of satin finishes. But to each their own.

FugaziBomb and marh415 like this.
  4. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Looks like same thing to me... for much less $$$

5. I dig the pickups on the Schecter and wasn’t crazy about Fender’s grease bucket tone pots the 1st time around .

6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    DAB23DC3-E0DA-4D34-A0E4-51100585E9E9.
    I can sure see your point. Im sure it’s just my aesthetic preferences, but this looks really inexpensive to me. It doesn’t look like it plays or sounds inexpensive though.

dBChad and Bikingbasser like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks okay but it's not a USA-made Fender...the most affordable USA Fender made, for that matter.

And what's up with those pickups, couldn't they find any that fit?
    BB4-DA0-FD-747-C-49-C6-A1-EF-6-D0-B1102-E369.
    Other than that, my buddy at Sam Ash is going to call me as soon as the first one arrives, so I'll definitely take it for a spin.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I like the Surf Green/maple a lot. But I don't like the black pickguard on it. (And I'm a fan of black pickguards.) On this, I think 3-ply white (W/B/W), off-white, or white pearl would look better...

9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    That’s one nice Fender!!
    I would pay the extra over that Schecter any day...

SactoBass likes this.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    When this one was a hot item, some people were swapping out the white pickguards for black, etc.
    rc1pmw.

hintz, EatS1stBassist and BassBuzzRS like this.
  11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I have one of those passive P/J's in the Seafoam Pearl. I know the old adage about opinions being like ########, so I'm not saying one is better than the other. ;) But MY opinion is that the Surf or Seafoam Greens don't look as good with the black.

jd56hawk, petrus61 and murphy like this.
  12. TrustRod

TrustRod

Mar 13, 2016
    That's a holdover from the original Schecter who used to do pickups that way. I don't like it, needs a cover.

jd56hawk likes this.
  13. J0hn

J0hn

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    Off topic but worthy of noting- those new Performer PJs have a wider P neck. The "Special Edition" Precision basses you posted above have jazz necks.

Jeff K likes this.
  14. I think the finishes look cool. A satin finish surf green might not be my preference, but I like that they are trying something different and a little bit left of the dial. The penny finish actually looks really cool to me. Maybe I'll end up getting one of those. The one thing that stands out to me though is there isn't a black one.

15. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Wow that's really weird. Wonder why they did that.

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Son of Wobble likes this.
  17. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    To me it seems better just because of the comfy trussroad wheel. I dig the uncovered pickups too. To each is own I guess.

18. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Great color for a Pea bass. Oh I'm getting hungry for some chicken and mashed potatoes to go along with it. Wonderful. Or else peas and jambalaya.
    Now the neck has become a fork and I'm craving for a body painted like this :

jambalaya_caro_original_25736.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  19. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I have a set of Joe Barden Jazz Pickups and they are open coil like these. Different twist on an old pickup shape. I think it's cool.

StayLow likes this.
  20. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    make a J that colour and I'm in