1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why did Fender introduce and discontinue the lollipop tuners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAgent, Feb 21, 2013.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    I have a Fender Jazz from '66, which has the gorgeous lollipop tuners. THen I wondered: why did Fender introduce those in the first place, and why did they discontinue them relatively quick? Were they too expensive to build? Did basses with lollipops not sell that well?

2. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i wonder too, i have one also.

3. Can you guys post a pic of those. I think I know which kind they are but I am not sure.

4. [​IMG]

5. Great question. I far prefer lollipops. If I was doing something like a bass build or refurb, that's all I would use.

6. Hipshot makes lollipop ultralights. I have a set on my parts PJ. Looks killer.

dtyndall likes this.
  7. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Late 65 through 66 (and on Jazz Basses only) to the best of my knowledge. My Oct. 1965 Jazz has them (pearl dots / no binding).
    It was in the period where they switched from Kluson made to Shaller made tuners. The later Shaller made clover leaf tuners have the exact same screw hole pattern as the lollie pop tuners.

8. Okay those were the ones I was thinking of. They look really good.

9. LWagner

LWagner

Dec 6, 2010
    Simi Valley Ca
    I've heard the lollie pop tuners were a mistake. Fender switch manufactures and the lollie pop's were mass produced instead of the clover type Fender intended to have made.

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the cloverleaf style.

Edit: Oh, and maybe the members of the Lollipop Guild were getting too old to keep making them... (Pretend there's a "wink" icon here.)

11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Love the pops (also called paddles and ovals) They were installed on P's, Tele's, J's, Mustangs and Coronado's (shorties like top shot)

[​IMG]

acrts9pY.

I wish the Hipshots were exact replicas instead of their block worm-gear stays version. The ones on my J were converted from 70's style large plate/large clover-leaf tuners.

Big Shrek likes this.
  12. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    My 1968 Telecaster Bass has them:
    DSC00381.

13. don't like em personally. i prefer the clovers.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I thought those were made in house. Gotta check the Fender bass history back to confirm

Jeff Scott likes this.
  15. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Maybe it's because I'm so accustomed to seeing clovers, but I think I prefer a bit more distinction to the shape over the smooth shape of the lollipops. Very neat though.

16. So did they stop using them around the time of the CBS acquisition?

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    They were on mostly 66 and 67 j basses

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

They look cool.

19. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've personally never seen them on any Precisions, only Telecaster and Jazz Basses from '66 to '68 (I'm trying to remember if I've seen them on any '69s, probably so as they generally used up old stock even into new model years). Can't offer anything else on them though, except they look great with a Rosewood BnB neck.

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Actually, I'd say you were in the majority. Fender likely discontinued the lollipop tuners because they got negative feedback from their customers. That style of tuner is a novelty today. I can't think of a single company that uses lollipop tuners.