Why did Fender make the Pickup Poles so tall on my '64 Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fender4Me, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker

The pickups in my Custom Shop '64 Closet Classic Jazz have these tall pickup pole pieces that I do not like. I cant find any example of an original 1964 Jazz with them. Why would they do this on a re-issue ?
    008.JPG

2. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    The "Original" branded series have those bevelled poles, also the P ones. For the very reason behind this, other than a small visual footprint to identify them, I really don't know if someone can give an answer.

Bevelled poles are theoretically made that way to be gentler on the fingers if touched. A pickup with poles sticking out will have a bit more "headroom" (or less, depending on how you see it) in terms of how close or far the pickup can be screwed in.
    In fact, I think it doesn't make or break a pickup imo, but someone can get an annoying tactile feel, as you say.

In terms of possible easy fix, try putting a piece of transparent tape on the poles/top side of the bobbin underneath the cover. First, it's a good solution for potential hum shielding, then it will probably keep the bobbin and poles 1 or 2 mm further down and might do the job. Nothing to lose besides 5 minutes, I think.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker

I was thinking about adding something under the pickup covers to lower the poles. I think they would look more like the originals if they werent sticking up so high.

EmaTheMirror likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021