Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why did my amp shut down?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brewer9, Mar 23, 2001.

1. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I had a gig last night where I could use my head but had to play through the house cabs. Well, after about 5 songs the sound kept shutting off. I'd go to check it and it would be OK then as soon as I start playing it would shut off again. It was awful!

My question is: Is there something like a circuit breaker in amps or cabs that keep them from overheating or something if they're incompatible?

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    could be a miss match between the house cabs and your amp...What kind of amp? what kind of cabs? Was it loud?

jc

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Could be an impendance mismatch -- if the load from the cabinets was too low for your head, it may have caused it to overheat and shut down.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    My head is a Mesa-Boogie 400+. Their cabs were a Mesa-Boogie 15" and a Hughes & Kettner 4x10. My guess is that it was something like the impedance or Ohmage or something but I'm not a techy at all. Your answers so far confirm my suspicions. Do you think my head was too much for the little cabs?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm not familiar with Mesa heads, but it's not the cabs, in my experience.

I could very well be a head-cab mismatch. Even if the ohmage was compatible, the speaker wattage rating could have been off. My two main heads have auto-protect circuits kick in and shut the rig down temporarily as they constantly monitor for load mistmatches/spikes. Maybe Mesa has a similar function.

6. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Did you set the impedance load switch on back of your amp to the right setting? Also if the mesa was a 4ohms and the Hughes was an 8ohms cab, or vice versa, you'd have an impedance rating of around 2.5 ohms witch your amp doesn't have a setting for. Tube amps have to have the right impedance cabs in order to work properly. In short, yes it's an ohmage thing.

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Thanks. You all are awesome. I played tonight with all my own stuff and it was just fine. Your answers were very helpful. That was definately the last time I ever try that mix and match idea for a gig.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Damn, brewer, you beat me home (and I didn't even have to break down. Clubs must close earlier in your neck of the woods).

Glad yours went fine and you didn't fry any gear.

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey RickBass, You didnt put your location in your Profile, but to let you in on mine, I'm in New hampshire right near Boston. My band finished playing at 1:00am and I got home around 2:30. And, of course, I came straight here to TalkBass. Cant sleep without checking in first, ya know?!

PS: You lucky basturd not having to break down. I hate that part.