1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why did my computer decided to randomly stop not sucking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This is weird, I don't know exactly when it happened, but my computer is super bogged down. A while back, I was able to run Sony Vegas Studio (a video editing program) no problem, now it is barely useable it runs so slow, the video won't run at full speed.

In fact, most videos are a little slow now. Winamp visuals as well, super slow when in full screen mode.

I'm not that computer saavy, but I keep all my MP3s on my external hard drive, and my hard drive is less than half full. I check Task Manager, and not a lot of stuff is running: What would cause my computer, while not top of the line could handle everything I wanted it to, to become so slow?

It's probably near impossible to tell without actually being able to look my computer over... but any ideas?

P.S. I'M BROKE!! Can't take it to anyone to fix it, can't upgrade RAM, etc.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Do a disk cleanup?

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I did :meh:

4. what like de-fragment the hardrive?? run some scans? other than thtat,all i can think off is upgrade RAM or processor

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Have you cleaned your registry lately? De-fragged your hard drive (NOT simply disk cleanup), checked for malware, made sure that you had the latest drivers and software revisions (i.e. if you updated the software, it may conflict with your out-dated hardware drivers. Rare, but it happens.). There's lots of reasons for computers to start sucking.

My guess would still be that either a)you've got spyware, a virus, etc lodged in there but good, or b) your registry needs cleaning. Possibly both. They're the most common cause of slowdowns on my computer, anyway, and have been for years.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Run Panda Anti-Rootkit - http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/antirootkit/

Reboot into safe mode and run your antivirus program (make sure it's completely updated), Spybot, Ad-Aware and any other malware-detecting programs you have available. Make sure they're all updated before rebooting into safe mode.

As much as I hate going through the lengthy process of defragging you should probably try that too.

If none of that speeds you back up then I would backup all your files onto that external drive, format your HD and do a fresh load of Windows.

bc

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that your computer decided to randomly start sucking because you use double negatives in your thread titles. That's just a hunch, I don't have any proof.
    ;)

8. You might have too many applications and/or services that automatically kickoff when you startup Windows. Try running "msconfig" and cleanup some of the stuff you don't need. You can find some details about msconfig here:

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

Look at both the "Startup" and "Services" tab in msconfig. Be cautious about disabling things that you can't identify, but you might still find things that don't really need to be running.

9. Also be careful with this. If you do alter anything in msconfig, it will by default also set you to start up on "selective startup", which you do not want. So after you do anything you want in msconfig, hit apply, then ok. Then bring up msconfig again, click "Normal Startup" or whatever the topmost choice was, hit apply, ok, then you should be fine from there. If it asks you to restart at any of those points (which it will), just hit exit without restart.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Awesome info folks, I'll work on this.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You're totally not unjealous.

12. maybe an auto update fixed something naughty

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Sorry, what's the issue with selective startup? Why is it bad?

14. Update the video drivers, perhaps?

15. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    also, actually CLEAN the computer as well. get all the dust off the fans, etc,etc. canned air and a vacuum works nicely.

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you've cleaned up and defragged your hard drive, it may be a problem with MS Windows Update. I had a similar problem recently, where my computer ground to a crawl on startup and spun its hard drive for 5 minutes before I could reliably run any programs. The reason is that the Windows Update service hijacks and monopolizes your computer and internet connection to install updates on startup. You can turn it off from the Microsoft website, but then you don't get the updates. The last time I checked, there were no known fixes.

17. lysol?

18. Unlike decent operating systems not tied to hardware sales as much as Windows is - MS' suite of OS's require frequent enema's (cleanups, or just rebuilds) to keep the illusion of needing faster hardware from appearing.

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

It must be your nurturing language ;)

20. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Try this, it's free and I use it all the time.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Also if you are running XP hit Ctrl Alt Del and see what programs are actually
    taking up CPU time. You may find some program running all the time eating
    up processing power.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021