1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did sabbath change?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jezz8me, Aug 18, 2007.

1. I was never a black sabbath fan until my friend gave me some songs and, well i still was not fond of all the iron man, paranoid, NIB sort of songs but i heard there earlyer stuff and it was melodic, full sounding, easy to listen to and just lain fantastic. I even heard some synthy stuff in some songs, they were by no means a hard rock band and i loved them for it.

So why oh why did they change, why was this music under the name of black sabbath, why is the music after this stage the most popular?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [edit] I miss read that..... yeah they were a blues based band.

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Everything changes. With the exception of the last couple of albums before the initial split with Ozzy, I like pretty much everything they've done - even Born Again. The Sabbath in name only era with Tony Martin vocals was excellent, the stuff with Dio and now again under the band name Heaven and Hell is great.

I don't think I'd like them so much if now, 30 years later, they were still doing "Blue Suede Shoes" with Ozzy's "vocals."

4. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    "Paranoid", released in 1971, was only the band's second album. It contained the title track plus 'Iron Man'. Their debut album, released the previous year, included "N.I.B.".

It may be that you liked other tracks on these albums better than the ones you listed. Some of the tracks had a much different feel, but they can't really be called 'earlier' Sabbath. These two albums pretty much captured what the band sounded like out of the gate.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm pretty sure before they were Black Sabbath (when they were the blues band), they were called "Earth." They changed because the music they got famous for was the music in their hearts, their super early stuff they made was pretty much just to get gigs, they really wanted to musically scare people. I think that's awesome.

If you are familiar with the drone metal band "Earth," they chose that name as a nod to Sabbath.

6. You should listen to Witchcraft too. They nail that old school Sabbath sound.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh yeah, Earth (The Metal band) sounds nothing like Sabbath other than the fact that they are slow and heavy. Witchcraft, when I play them around my friend, he's like, "Man, they are really trying hard to be Black Sabbath." I like 'em though, they have more of a Pentagram vibe (they were like the American Black Sabbath).

8. Yea. I forgot that Pentagram has that vibe too.