Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why did Stuart Zender quit Jamiroquai?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Don't mock me, but why did Stuart Zender quit Jamiroquai?In my opinion the music wasn't as good when Stuart left. Was there tension between him and Jay? Stuart is one of the bass players ever, I think. I just need to know why he quit, because I dunno. Thanks
    Laura

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    From what I was told by a reliable source,creative differences.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    From Stu himself, in a nutshell, he felt that everyone was doing equal amounts of the work, but one person was getting most of the money. They have since made up. I've got an unauthorized copy of his solo album (his AZUR project), and he's a damn good writer/producer as well.

4. They played some music awards a few years back and Stuart came out with a nice red mark on his face and a less-than-happy expression. It was later noted that he had just gotten punched by the singer over some dispute backstage.

~Ad

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I asked Toby (keyboardist, who has since quit the band) about that, and he denied it ever happening. Hey, you didn't expect him to admit it, didja?

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Stu is my favorite bassist ever, and ever since he left that band has sucked. And with toby gone as well - they have become worthless.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    What starts out as a band develops into a solo artist with a backing band. Simply Red are another example.

this is an observation not a criticism

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Can the "Gwen Stephani Band" be far behind?

PS. Did I spell her name right?

9. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I guess it's the other way round with "The Dave Mathews Band" (one of my favourite bands) as they're his band but he is very humble and gives them all much respect, which i think is great. You have to have a front man who the band want to play for, and someone who realises that the creation of music that people will respond to is dependant on his need for them (the band).

Peace

10. When a band starts as a solo artist with band (like Jimi Hendrix and The Experience, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) I have absolutely no problem with it at all. But if a band starts as a real band where everyone is equally important I can understand band members getting pretty annoyed and eventually quiting the band. Didn't the same thing happen with the Police (also known as Sting and the Police nowadays??)

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The Police started out as Stuart Copeland's punk band, he was (and is) a songwriter and multi-instrumentalist and his brother was the manager.

They had a different guitarist (Henry someone) and went to see Sting in a band. They asked him to join. Inevitably Sting and Copeland got bored with punk and got in Andy Summers (also a song writer) which caused Henry to leave after a while.

What happened next is that all the famous songs were written by Sting and the others were written by Copeland or Summers. The balance of power obviously changed. That's when the conflicts started. They often resolved arguments with physical violence. There was often tension in the performances. Ironically, they apparantly love each other in a fillial kind of way.

Useless information brought to you by the CS network

12. I also believe that the last record Stuart was on was just not the same Jamiroquai.. It was the beggining of the new jamiroquai [​IMG] from my point of view.

He seemes to have left because he couldn't stood Jay K's egoism but he officialy claimed that he was leaving the band because the was going to be a dad.

13. Yeah I was watching VH1 and they played on the Fashion Awards in 96' or 97' and they said that the whole band was in a fight and beating each other up. THen Stuart left and D'Angelo was just about ready to fill in for him and then he came back seconds before they were supposed to preform. Could that be why he was playing with a nice mark on his face?