1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why did take so long to get a jazz (style) bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Jul 9, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I had always resisted or discarded jazz style basses before when looking for a new axe. I almost got a Hamer Cruise as my "first good bass" but went with a Stingray instead. Now that I've finally (after all these years) figured out that B size necks are my thing I made the move to get a couple. One of those was an MTD Beast. It's pretty basic - poplar body, maple neck, wenge fingerboard. 2 single-coil Bartolini jazz pickups. Vol, vol, tone.

You know what? It rocks! The satin finished B neck is like an old friend. It just feels right - completely comfortable. The sound is great. I like neck pickup full on and the bridge pickup rolled off enough for the sound to bloom and that is "it" for me. Clarity, growl, punch - just what the doctor ordered. And it's light, too.

I'm now a happy member of the jazz style bass club. I like it so much I ebayed the Stingray I had just traded for and bought another Beast (they are discontinued and being closed out). Now I feel like I'm all set with 4-strings with 2 Beasts (I'm really a "one-axe" guy but want to have it in two places so maybe two of the same will be good for me). I was even able to pick up a Musicyo Steinberger 5 with the difference to keep around and remind me why I never keep a 5-string.

I'm not sure why I resisted the jazz-style thing so long. Maybe because they seem to be the most popular/pervasive? Because a lot of my favorite bassists were Precision type of guys? Oh well, I seem to have learned my lesson. Now the question is whether this will end the GAS (probably not, but I can hope).