Why did they pick my car!!?? A rant and a question!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - I need to get this off my chest but I could also do with any ideas...:meh:

So - last Monday, I get back late from band practice and there are no car parking spaces nearby and I park a way up the road. Tuesday evening I go back to my car to go to Jazz jam and - bugger!! The passenger side window(nearest to pavement/sidewalk) has been completely smashed - glove compartment has been ransacked and stuff pulled out.

But basically nothing was in there to be stolen - after having a cab stolen from the boot (trunk)a few years ago - I never leave anything in there!! All they maybe got was a few coins that were in a small compartment, for use in car parks .

So - it's annoying as my insurance policy doesn't cover this and I have to get somebody out and pay about £110 (and on 50% for $) .

Anyway - I think - its not too bad and it was just bad luck that some junky was looking for money to feed their addiction.

The glass was replaced on Friday and I have my car parked back opposite my house.

But then on Sunday morning I go back to the car after having parked it on Saturday afternoon and - NO , I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! :mad :mad:

The same window is smashed again - after only two days of being replaced - glove compartment is open - nothing to steal - what is going on!!??

So - I have to pay another £110, get the repairers out again - how many times do I have to do this?

Why did they pick my car - no others that I can see as far as I look have been targeted - why is it like my car has a sign saying "Smash my window!!" :confused:

So - there was nothing on view, nothing inside to steal, the car has an immobiliser, so it can't be driven away - what can I do about this??
  2. Bruce

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Mr Martin had a solution against people breaking into his house which cost him a long spell in prison so I would not recommend that. :meh:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah my first thought was to get a baseball bat, wait up all night and try to catch who is doing this in the act and see how they liked getting the same treatment on their person!! :meh:

But what (else) can you do?
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    There's not any solution that can be guaranteed. Lock it in a bomb proof garage - having invested the necessary hard work to pay for such a storage area - and you might still find it attacked by determined thieves (who think you must have something worth hiding) or pranged next time you take it out for a drive. Alas, moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal....

It sounds like you've taken all reasonable precautions - here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

5. I always park next to a much nicer, posher, or more expensive car. Mind, I drive an old Skoda (with huuuuge paint spots on the side where the rust spots were) and I've left it in some of the dodgiest parts of Edinburgh (and Glasgow :p) without problem - while the car parked next to mine has been broken into.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Well that's the irritating thing - looking up and down the road after both incidents, there were much newer and more expensive cars around!!! :mad:

How do you get into their minds - I would have gone for a BMW or Audi - not my 1993 Toyota !! :meh:
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i went for a little road trip to liverpool yesterday.... just be glad you DONT live there!
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Having talked to various people over the weekend - including the police - I think you're right - but it's so frustrating!!

Twice in a few days just doesn't seem fair!!

The only thing I can do it seems is upgrade my insurance - so I will have to pay about £250 more per year, but it will be worth it if this is going to happen so frequently!!

So I spoke to my insurers this morning to do this and they confirm that broken windows don't affect no-claims bonus, with the upgraded policy which I have now taken out!!
  9. I'm sorry to hear about your problem, Bruce. I know that they mightn't be of much use, but have you contacted the police? I had something similar happen to my car (except while it was in our garage!). Upon calling the police, I was informed that they'd caught an offender who had been running around the neighbourhood trying to steal cars. I identified him as wearing the same clothes (as I'd seen an unfamiliar person in the street just before it occurred) and apart from adding to his problems, I was also able to find some closure.

Even if you aren't as fortunate as to have the person caught, you may find that if you choose to do some proactive 'watching' over your car, you may avoid some other problems. For example, I'm not suggesting that you do this, but, if I were game, I might get a few of my friends around hiding in the street to see if they could find the perpetrator. If you've informed the police before hand and decide to be the vigilante, you will avoid other problems down the road.

So, as far as I can see it, you can take the option of trying to get your insurance changed to get some sort of cover for this, park your car in a secured lot, or actively seek out this person/persons. I'm sorry that I can't help you more. Best of luck finding a solution to your problem.

Edit: posted before seeing new posts.
  10. :(

Sorry, Bruce. Hope you catch the little bastage.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

After the first one - I thought why bother? But after the second I phoned up straight away and have given them all the details.

The person I spoke to from the crime desk, susggested that it could be kids as young as 9/10 , judging by how incompetent they were - he has told the local patrol officer and they are also supposed to be sending out a forensic van to check for fingerprints - some time today!

12. If this was my town they wouldn't check for fingerprints unless someone was attacked in it, I bet.
  13. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sorry for your bad luck, Bruce.

If I may make a suggestion? Since there is nothing in the car to steal, why not leave the doors unlocked?

Since you have an immobiliser, they can't drive your car away.

If you feel a need for more security against auto theft, put a hidden switch In the hot wire from your ignition switch.

Just a thought.

Harrell S.
  14. Atleast its a consolation at this point that the are police following this up. Over here, all they care about is putting up speed cameras. Nevertheless, they are showing an effort but if it is as the police officer suggested then fingerprints obviously won't help much.

This may be the most expensive option, but if it happens again, you should enquire the cost of shatterproof glass. If they can't break it, then they might leave you alone. Although, that solution is once again trying to defuse the situation instead of stopping the cause.

15. Bruce Lindfield

It sounds logical, but I don't think I could do it - I would just feel I was leaving my car for people to use as a kind of public toilet....:meh:
  16. isamot

Jan 27, 2003

I can empathaze with your situation. In similar circumstances that occured two years ago, my vehicle (not new and not flashy in any sense of the word) was vandalized three times within a one month period on the street where I live. There was nothing worth taking, and nothing was taken during any of the violations. In adition, there were plenty of other much more expensive vehicles on the street, and a few of them had items of worth (cell phones, cash, and even PDAs) visible within. It turned out that it was a neighbor's child (16 years old at the time) who, by his own admission, said that he commited these acts because he did not like the music that my band played at the rehearsals in my house. The band had just started rehearsing at my house three months before the crimes. Go figure. I guess that the motivation for behavior like this cannot be deduced using conventional thought. I do hope that your problem is resolved quickly.

Perhaps you can rent an attack dog to wait inside your car until the villain returns. J/K

17. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Bruce, Back in 1995 I had a similar situation where my passenger side window was broken out and my CD player
    was stolen. After that I had a Viper Alarm System installed.
    Since then I have not had any problems at all.I also purchased
    an Ultra Club and lock it on the steering wheel every night.
    I realize you can't always get a good parking spot, but at least
    the Club and the Stickers and red flashing LED from the Viper
    will keep away the car thiefs & crack heads.Check with the
    Guys in your area that do alot of Custom Car Audio instalations,they usually do alarm also, and a good Alarm tech
    can set the sensitivity so a passing truck wont set it off but
    if someone hits a window it will go off. I know this is not foolproof, but what is. I also know how you felt when you saw
    the window broken out, I was so furious, and then all the
    agravation and inconvienence you have to go threw to call
    the insurance and get the car fixed.Check into the alarm
    system, and do not get a cheaper model like the "Hornet"
    it is not a real Viper with a dual zone sensor. :)
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe it was your insurance agent.

I had a car broken into twice within about a month a few years back. Parked right around the corner from my house. One of my neighbors (the car was parked close to their front door) later told me they heard the alarm go off but didn't bother to look. They stole my head unit the first time, the second time they stole the entire stereo*, a bunch of rare cds... and about $5K worth of computer networking hardware that was in the boot. They also ripped the ignition apart but apparently couldn't get it started and/or didn't know how to drive a 5 speed. My solution?

I moved.

Bottom line, if a moron is going to break into your car, they're going to break into your car. It might be for something as stupid as a pair of sunglasses or even loose change. On my convertibles I leave the doors unlocked and nothing inside... no need to have the top cut though of course some of these people are too stupid to even look to see if a door is unlocked.

Ah, the joys of automobile ownership;)

*Funny aside: While my car was at the Honda dealership afterwards someone on the lot stole my tweeters and Monster cables... the only thing the thieves hadn't stolen. The dealership had to pay me retail for the replacements.
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Two thoughts:

1)Leave your windows down and hope for the best.

2)Maybe it was the same guys at the previous time. They saw your same car, recognized the plate, and were bitter abouy not finding anything the time before so they thought theyd do it again to spite you.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Well, in England - it rains - a lot!! Especially at this time of year!! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.