Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why did this work ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Dec 13, 2003.

1. hey guys last night i made the big mistake of letting my singer set up my stuff for me cuz i was going to be late for the gig. and he pluged both speaker cables in to the same cab. i am running the svt3pro and swr goliath jr and SOB. he went out of both outs onthe amp and in to both jacks of the amp. and me , like and idiot, just asked if it was all set and just pluged in, powered up and played our set. while playing i notice the volume wasn't what it should have been.
    then as i was breaking down i noticed what6 he did and wondered why i didn't blow something up.

what gives??

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Because both jacks are wired in parallel and sending the same signal, so you were not doubling your output or anything like that.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Exactly. I am surprised you heard any difference at all.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I missed the part about the volume change. I'm guessing that the two cables were affecting the impedance in some way.

5. you think that could hurt anything ??
    i.e amp ? speaker?

6. Did he just plug two cables into one cab or did he go into both? The ONLY way it would have made ANY difference is if he would have just run two cables into one cab. That wouldn't hurt anything, you'd just have had less power due to higher impedance of one cab. As long as the connections are parallel, (which ALL speaker jacks are unless they have switching like a Marshall 4x12) using more than one cable has only the effect of giving a better current path. If both speaker cables are the same, it effectively makes them a gauge size larger.