Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why did you become a bassist ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vulcan`, Sep 20, 2002.

1. here's a nice question : what made you become a bassist ?
    i became one after hearing a bit of flea with my friend ismail (lead guitar) and a load of bass solo's etc. so i thought about starting to play bass .
    After that we met 2 guys at about our age in the shop where i wanted to buy my bass who were looking for drums coz one of them who's called tarek just started to play rythm guitar and steve (the other guy) was just about to start playing drums !!
    it was one hell of a coincedence that they also liked our kind of music.
    So we decided to get to know each other better and maybe form a band or something
    we still dont have anything "big" we made up but maybe in a few years :) .-

ciao dudes

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I became a bassist because I like playing the bass.

3. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I didnt want to be cocky like a guitarist or moronic like a drummer.
    Now Im an A**hole bassist. :D ;)

4. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I was torn between drums and bass about 3 years ago, but then i went to Ozzfest '99 and was totaly mystified by Geezer Butler's awesome gruuven bass grooves in the intro to N.I.B.(as well as the rest of the set) After seeing him tear up the bass in wicked ways, i decided i would like to play BASS!!
    :D :D :confused: :D

5. Because my father said bagpipes were too expensive.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Because there were more guitarists than bassits and I figured it to be a good way to get gigs...

7. After playing trombone for 5 years, I decided I'd get a, i suppose, modern instrument, like guitar, bass, or drums. bass seemed most similar to the trombone (mainly for stability, but more and more becoming a solo instrument), so it was natural.

8. British

British

Sep 5, 2002
    LESS CRAP! I was getting tired of lugging my drumset around to gigs.

That and I wanted to get out from behind the kit and actually SEE the audience for once.

Shrug. I just wanted to do something different I guess.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    what Chris said.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I started playing bass so bitches know i DOMINATE

Copyright PeterMcInc.

11. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    All my friends were doing it. OK, not really. But alot of my friends did start playing guitar, and I wanted to be different from them.

Besisdes, how often do bass players get asked to play "Sweet Home Alabama"?:D

Sienfield is another story:rolleyes:

12. thageeze

thageeze Guest

Aug 4, 2002
    Niceville, Florida
    i started playing bass cuz i cant pronounce guitar

13. After playing years of an acoustic instrument, clarinet, I decided to start playing an electric instrument.

And the most versatile electric instrument wass a bassguitar in my eyes.

But to be honest it doesn't really matter to me what instrument I play, I play the same stuff I used to play on clarinet, and some cool melodic bass lines I dare to play on clarinet.
    I also have no problem if some force from above commands me to play guitar or keyboards.

I was born a musician, but carved into a bassist. :D :rolleyes: (sorry for my ego :) )

14. I always loved the lower registers.

I started on violin
    Switched to cello
    Switched to bass
    (Maybe will switch to a Subcontrabass :D :eek: )

15. there were wayyy to many guitarists around, and everyone told me bass was harder and i would need to work at it more because i have small feeble hands. also because i wanted to do something different, or less common, so many people can play guitar, but like one out of 35 can play bass. now i'm rocking the stage at my school ALL THE TIME! woo ha!
    -shoonk

16. They said to me that a good bassist is better appriciated by other musicians, wich I have noticed, not that I'm good, but all the guitarists I played with gave me a lot of respect, they made me feel like I was really needed.

On the other hand, to illiterate non-musians, a bassist seems negligible, they don't even know what the bass does in a certain song. Untill you take it away, and then they'll notice there's something missing, but they are not sure what.
    They think: "Is their something wrong with the amplification of the guitarist ?" "could it be that 4-stringed instrument, that I don't see anymore ?"

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Wha, you too?

:D

18. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    Dido Mr. Fitzgerald

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I started playing drums because my Dad's church needed a drummer.

I switched to bass when our bassist quit coming, because I liked it better.

20. I started playing bass because that was the instrument I wanted to play. I don't know why. It was actually a race between me and my best friend, but I got my bass first, so he ended up as the vocalist.